CCS Collect - chasing HMRC 'debt'

ricoeliso
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

i have recently started receiving letters through the post from a company called CCS Collect

claiming that I owe money to them on behalf of The Department of Work and Pension for £97.50.

Thing is, I have no idea what this is for.

The letters gives no explanation, they only abruptly demand that i pay it or face legal action.

Quick search shows that the department of Work and Pension is government related.

I pay all my taxes, National Insurance etc through PAYE and have no other dealings with the HMRC.

The only thing i can think of is that i was on Job Seekers Allowance when i first came out of university 8 years ago

and when i found work the gov. continued paying me it for a short while.

i phoned them about it (telling them to stop!) and they advised me that the over payment

would just be deducted from next time i stop work and start claiming again - which i never have.

But i can't even remember if the over payment equates to the same amount.

Questions:

1. should i contact CCS Collect at all?

the most recent letter has given a settlement due date and has said i will otherwise be taken to court

(and face additional legal fees). however if i contact them am i acknowledging receipt?

2. Is there anyway i can find out what this debt is without contacting them?

3. Is a debt 8 years old (if it is related to the Job Seekers Allowance) even enforceable?

4. Does anyone know if i have any legal grounds on which i can avoid paying?

I'm an honest, law abiding citizen so i am very begrudged to hand over money to these cowboys.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

1.no

2.yes phone DWP

3.yes gov't debt can never become SB'd

4.nope

never ever pay or respond to a DCA chasing gov't debt

they have NO POWERS WHATSOEVER

to do anything to you.

contact DWP directly

but you already have had the answer..

when/if you ever get benefit it will be deducted in small sums

you might wish to circumvent the loss late on

and start paying directly now in small payments

but NEVER EVER to a DCA.

pers i'd be totally ignoring the DCA

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

So i received a response today from CCSCollect following my 'prove it' letter which states the following:

"this is in relation to the overpayment of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance on 31/07/06. If you require evidence that this is owed, please refer to your local benefit office or the DWP Debt Management Centre, as this is not held by CCS Collect"

they then go on to demand that i should make payment to CCS Collect or call them to discuss repayment options.

Per the above, i know that the debt is statute barred and that the DWP can recover from any future benefits claimed. So is there a follow up template letter (or suggestion) that i should give to them to get CCS off my case? Should i point out this statute barred bit out to them or say that i will only discuss with DWP directly, or both?

I'm concerned this might affect my credit rating and i'm fed up of their aggressive letters coming through my door.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There is no Statute barred for this debt. Its a HMRC debt so it will always be owed until paid off. In any case, pay HMRC direct. Not a dca who will undoubtedly take money for themselves.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

"3.yes gov't debt can never become SB'd"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

"3.yes gov't debt can never become SB'd"

Yes i had been advised this previously, however i have also discovered that DWP will recover from any future benefits claimed. They will not 'demand' that i settle it. As i advise in my original post, this is what i was even told when i first contacted them about the overpayment.

It's more a case that i just want to know what i can do to get CCSCollect to go away.

Just tell them to bugger off and negotiate repayments direct with hmrc. Once a repayment is agreed with them, they can call the dca off. Just dont think you can put off repaying for years. They know when people are trying to avoid repaying and will take further action to get monies owed.

It's not going to go away. DWP and HMRC are using debt collectors more frequently now, it's only going to keep increasing.

The only thing they can't do after 6 years is take if to court.

They can still continue to demand repayment until an arrangement is made.

I've actually looked into it and established that one thing they can't do is increase the debt. relief!

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues....

So sent them a letter on 21st May, which stated as follows:

"Dear CCS Collect

I refer to your letter dated 15th May 2014 and attached hereon.

I note your suggestion that the request for payment is in relation to an overpayment of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance on 31/07/2006. I would like to refer to the Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act (England/Wales), which notes the following:

Benefit Overpayments & Social Fund Loans

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has six years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid.

But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over six years old as they don't need to go to court to do this.

This applies to overpayments of benefit such as Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and paying back social fund loans.

As the accused overpayment (which I do not acknowledge nor have CSSCollect provided sufficient evidence of occurring) was made more than 6 years ago, no court action can be taken. Furthermore, as any required settlement should and can only be made through the deduction from any future benefits, I will take up the matter with DWP directly and not go through CSS Collect.

I therefore ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts, especially with falsified claims of court action. I will otherwise have no option but to make a complaint to the Trading Standards Department and consider informing the FCA of your actions.

Kind Regards,

"

today (10 days later), I have received another letter which appears to completely disregard my response, advising that they have now written to me several times regarding the above account that remains outstanding and have now selected it for action with their legal partners HL Solicitors. They go on to say that "at which time legal action may be commenced against you in the County Court (or Sheriffs Court if applicable). Should such action be taken, the proceedings will include additional claims for legal costs and interest on the outstanding".

A rather weak threat that i believe they have little ability to follow through, but at this stage i now just want to get them quit harassing me! Per my previous letter, i have threatened going to the OTF, should i follow this through? Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable response?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

no point in arguing with a computer controlled threat-o-gram system

you've stated your postion

ignore them.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no point in arguing with a computer controlled threat-o-gram system

you've stated your postion

ignore them.

dx

I agree. I'm posting to highlight that it says "may be commenced" and "should such action be taken", not "will be commenced" and "once such action is taken".

"Weasel words" such as "may" designed to scare the unwary into responding.

They've had your reply ... don't try to negotiate with a computer.

Don't even bother with this. If they can't be bothered to review and send even semi-sensible letters what is the use in replying. Who is really going to read and make sense of any further communication. Kevin Williams age 19 on reception don't care any more!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

After receiving lots of telephone calls & text messages, today I received a letter from CCS Collect saying I owe HMRC £X. It doesn't say why and I don't know how they have my contact details & the letter seems a bit thin, stating:

"Our client HMRC has authorised us to receive the full amount due to them. We regret that if we do not receive this payment immediately or an acceptable payment offer, we shall have no alternative but to return your account to HMRC, who may commence enforcement action which could include legal proceedings. Should this be necessary, you may incur legal costs."

It then goes on to threaten that if court action is taken and a judgement/decree obtained against me to recover the sum due, HMRC may ask the court to make one of the following orders if the debt remains unpaid: seizure order, attachment of endings, if I live in Scotland, a summary warrant.

I further advised that interest is charged daily amounts paid late and I must pay the amount due now to them and any remaining interest will be calculated and collected separately by HMRC.

Is this legitimate? If so, should this rubbish be ignored?

Thanks

Hi all,

i have recently started receiving letters through the post from a company called CCS Collect

claiming that I owe money to them on behalf of The Department of Work and Pension for £97.50.

Thing is, I have no idea what this is for.

The letters gives no explanation, they only abruptly demand that i pay it or face legal action.

Quick search shows that the department of Work and Pension is government related.

I pay all my taxes, National Insurance etc through PAYE and have no other dealings with the HMRC.

The only thing i can think of is that i was on Job Seekers Allowance when i first came out of university 8 years ago

and when i found work the gov. continued paying me it for a short while.

i phoned them about it (telling them to stop!) and they advised me that the over payment

would just be deducted from next time i stop work and start claiming again - which i never have.

But i can't even remember if the over payment equates to the same amount.

Questions:

1. should i contact CCS Collect at all?

the most recent letter has given a settlement due date and has said i will otherwise be taken to court

(and face additional legal fees). however if i contact them am i acknowledging receipt?

2. Is there anyway i can find out what this debt is without contacting them?

3. Is a debt 8 years old (if it is related to the Job Seekers Allowance) even enforceable?

4. Does anyone know if i have any legal grounds on which i can avoid paying?

I'm an honest, law abiding citizen so i am very begrudged to hand over money to these cowboys.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Edited by wtaf

If, may, could etc etc. They can't do anything with a hmrc debt. Ignore the idiots and deal with hmrc direct

please start a new thread of your own

this thread is +2yrs old

you wont get seen

thread closed

and they

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks