style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Been trying to google an answer to this but with no luck

The Organisation i work for recently advertised for staff to apply for promotion , they are quite strict about attendance (understandably) and it always used to be the case that if you had more than 4 periods of absence in the 2 years prior to applying for promotion - it automatically barred you from applying .

I had been told (but am unable to find anything in writing) that an employer can no longer hold sickness against you when applying for promotion ? But if you applied for a new position and were shortlisted , if it came down to Mr A and Mr B and one had 0 absence , and the other had 5 days off sick , then Mr A would get preference .

I have been told by a manager although they can no longer use sickness to stop someone getting promoted then now use the term "reliability" ?

sounds like an internal policy to me rather than the law.

maternity related sickness has to be ignored

disability related sickness may be higher for reasonable adjustments

regular ordinary sickness? legal to discriminate on that basis.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!