'Legal High' Shops.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I dont know if I have posted on correct forum, but seems appropriate category for my initial question(s) - in relation to these, modern, compact, 'legal high' shops - that are cropping up in many High Street's, which has young people (ages 12-17 predominantly) flocking to them, like bee's to honey!

The common denominator being = high and the fact that it is preceded by, legal seems to be an added bonus! However, young people may be confusing the word 'legal' with 'safe' - which is certainly not the case! These 'legal' concoctions, sold using a legal loophole of packages being stamped with the words 'not for human consumption', would be better stamped with the words 'potentially fatal substance!'.

Yet despite the rising number of deaths associated with this 'new trend' and our lack of knowledge in actual composition, or long term effects - the government are seemingly 'burying their heads in the sand' and continuing to give the retailers the green light, in setting up shop, in prime high street locations and selling to predominantly an age range of ages 12 - 17. Causing chaos and mayhem in some communities, rise in crime (as not cheap!); relationship/family breakdowns and for some 'death or long term mental illness'.

I am amazed that this can be allowed to happen in this day and age! We promote healthy lifestyles and recently, government legislation now allows Social Services to take obese children into care - the parents of those children being classed as 'neglectful'. For most of those parents, they dont know any different , lack education and in my opinion - they need help not punishment!

Yet the Government, in the full knowledge of the potentially fatal risks associated to legal highs, the already well publicised deaths that have occurred already (some very slow and painful); no funding being put into researching the chemical contents of these drugs - shipped to UK from China - creating a great deal of stress and difficulties for families, particularly with adolescent children - yet the Government give the green light to licenses being granted for these shops to operate and trade; in drugs of an unknown origin or effect (short and long term). This should be in my opinion, Political Suicide - but seems that it is perfectly ok for the government to leave this matter to its own devices, to ignore the harmful effect these substances have on the individual, the families and the community. It seems that 'WE' The Public, are ok with that ???

I just dont get it, am I missing something??? Why are we allowing this to happen, how can it happen -- why why why why? Who knows, in the future, we may be talking about something as sensational and debilitating as 'Thalidimide?' This may seem a bit far fetched, but I am sure nobody had an inclin toward the future generation of babies being born with such defects as was the case. Since that time, there has been many arguments and objections raised about that issue, for starters - how could that happen. How could we trial a drug on real people and for such a disaster to arise. As always, in any event which 'names and shames' a profession, authority or government - a public enquiry ensues and low and behold; that report will conclude with a list of recommendations and one will be ........ 'lessons learned?' |The other ........ missed opportunities'. We may as well have these terms written into the template for such reports, because basically lessons are never learned and opportunities continue to be missed!!!

The mind boggles - we are dealing with a government who has so little regard for the people - their only agenda being to make a name for themselves - good, bad or ugly.

I feel, for something bad to happen, it takes a few 'good people' to do nothing!!

We need to do something about this appalling situation, but what can we do????

Any ideas and indeed, anybody who can throw light on the whole situation of how this is allowed, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Nadia :-x