Self employed - Unpaid advise

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new to this site, but have read some other posts and am hoping somebody may be able to help.

My partner is a self employed Carpenter. He was recommended to a company by somebody he's worked with previously and completed 11 days labour for this company. The company paid him for 6.5 days, but despite numerous reminders and informing them we would seek a CCJ if payment was not made by today, we have not received the money owed.

I tried to submit a claim online, but I have no address details for the company. The company website provides a telephone number and e-mail address and there is the option to submit an enquiry form, but no address is listed. I have checked Company House and it's not listed on there. The company is run by one person, so I assume he is a sole trader operating under the company name.

We have tried contacting the owner by e-mail and telephone, but he does not answer or respond. We have also tried asking the person who recommended my partner if they know the address, but unfortunately he does not and is no longer working for the company due to a number of issues including payment.

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. My partner is owed £568 net and we provided my partner's CIS card for tax purposes, so he should have paid £142 to HMRC.

Help/advice would be grately received.

Many thanks

Sarah

If it went to court, what proof do yuou have that the money is owed ?, have you a signed conract ?, who is that signed by ?, a Ltd Company ?, can you not visit the companies house website to find out their registered address ?

Thanks so much for responding. I had already tried googling the details and visiting the companies house site, but had no joy. I have just visited whois and the address has come up though!!! Thank you Swoosh84!!!!!

Hello there.

If you haven't already, you might like to add to Swoosh's reputation by clicking on the star/sheriff's badge on the bottom left of their post, leaving a short message.

Please let us know how it goes.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

A verbal contract is as solid in law as a written one. the problem is that he will have to be more convincing to a judge than the other side. Speaking to people who were on the same job just to show evidence of being there will be a good start. Also have a chat with your local trading standards to see if they have received any complaints about this person or his business. Rogues normally have form and getting that in writing to show he is not of good character will do you well when it comes to agruments over who said what.