Homebase- wrong paint

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Home base have done me wrong!

I'm here because I've never had an issue to really complain before. I had paint mixed to the colors I wanted in satinwood but even though it says satinwood on the tins it's matt. All my hours of rubbing down the chairs ruined, also they've been freshly woven with fabrics so to repaint is impossible but it's all peeling off.

Also my kitchen cupboards are ruined and peeling.

I am an amateur so thought I'd done something wrong but as I'd sanded and sugar soaped everything when a friend who paints visited and I asked them why the peeling was happening they got a cloth and WIPED the paint off the door they told me it was matt.

How do I go about getting compensation from such a big place? Will I have to take them to court.

Please help, I can't afford to reweave chairs let alone can't face rubbing and now stripping everything :sad:

I've taken a week off work to paint my house up. I went quirky on my furniture and cupboard doors which has taken me 2 days. I'm so shocked the're machine can make a mistake like this, I can promise you though that all is ruinined in the kitchen and dining room. I have the reciepts and tins that say 'satinwood' with some paints left in them.

How hard is it to get compensation?

Without checking the paint it is difficult to advise

Was it quick drying paint ?

If so it will be water based paint wich does tend to peel and leave a poor Finnish

Oil based all the way for me for durability and Finnish

Did you not notice any problems when applying it before compleating the job

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi katykat

It would of been an idea to test an area with the paint before painting everything. It might be an idea to visit the store and complain to them first.

If you don't get anywhere, write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain what's happened, how you have been let down and what you want them to do. Take pictures of the painted areas showing the peeling, keep the tins and any other proof.

Send it to:-

Mr Paul Loft

Chief Executive

Homebase

paul.loft@homebase.co.uk

Hi there, just had it confirmed, they've mixed the paint up in the machine and even though the label they've stuck on says satinwood, under it it says matt. Damnit!

I suppose I should've noticed before I painted everything I intended AND did a second coat, DOH.

They surely can't blame me for not knowing the difference can they? I pray they give me some sort of compensation, I borrowed £500 to to the kitchen & diningroom and paid a lady to weave my chairs with fabric. Over the stupid matt/ should've been satinwood paint!

If the label was correct then I doubt they will give any compensation and they will use the defence that you should have a) checked the label and b) tried it on a small test patch first to make sure you were happy. Sorry.

Hi ashmk

The label was checked, it stated 'satinwood', but underneath there was a label 'matt'. I suppose a 'DIY'er isn't necessarily going to know the difference even if they 'tested' on a small patch.

If the label was correct then I doubt they will give any compensation and they will use the defence that you should have a) checked the label and b) tried it on a small test patch first to make sure you were happy. Sorry.

From a DIY'er point if view. It would not make any difference matt or satin to it peeling, that's down to prep unfortunately. It's possible that the paint has reacted with a previous coating and is peeling, this us very common if varnish was previously used.

Also the newer formulation of paints takes days / weeks to dry out properly, you may have not waited long enough.

I would be surprised if you can get any more than the cost of the paint from them, but it's worth a try