Paying UK tax when working abroad

Hallmark
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon

I'm looking for some advice on paying income tax on my earnings when working in Qatar as i have been reading mixed stories when looking on line.

• I move abroad in August 2013 to work which meant I spent 163 days in the UK within the tax year 2013-14.
  • I paid all my tax from my previous job when living in the UK from April 2013 - August 2014.
  • I'm planning on returning to the UK in April 2017 (after the 2016 - 2017 tax year).

My questions are:

1. Will I be liable to pay tax for the remianing tax year from August 2013 - April 2014?
  2. Will I be liable to pay any tax when I return April 2017 (after the 2016 - 2017 tax year)?

Thank you

Mark

AFAIK you only pay tax if the money comes into this country. it's why a lot of people use offshore accounts.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

As for your questions:

1. Only if you underpaid, but if you were on PAYE, then you wouldnt have.

2. only for the 2017-2018 tax year and you are earning money then.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The rules for paying tax on foreign earnings are actually incredibly complex - there are a number of criteria which HMRC use to establish if you are resident in the UK for tax purposes, and only one of those are how many days you have spent outside the country. This is a link to the HMRC guidance, but if you are in any doubt you should probably get expert advise.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/residence.htm

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.