Insurance Wont Pay

paydaypayback
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3697 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently had my cat in the vets for the annual (2014) check up and the vet told me that it needed 2 teeth removing as they were going bad and would start to cause some pain. I had the teeth removed at a cost of over £500 and everything was good. The insurance company have now rejected my claim for the following reasons -

In 2013 the cat had her annual checkup and the vet looked at her teeth and stated 'she will require some work on her teeth in the future'. This was recorded on the cats vetinary medical notes. Because of this comment the insurance are rejecting the claim as the policy I have states -

The pet must have been seen within the previous 12 months - which she was in 2013 and then again in 2014.and, that any work recommended by the vet must have been carried out and, they will not pay claims for any pre-existing conditions from before the policy started.

My question is - would the vets comment highlight a pre-existing condition or could it be interpreted as a 'throw away comment' eg; I go to the opticians and they say you will need glasses in the future - it doesnt mean I wear them now, and, would this comment be seen by an insurance company as a recommendation of work which in their view should have been carried out?

The vet has stated they will write a letter to the insurers if required stating that the work the comment related to was not essential at the time and was in no shape or form urgent. It was just advise to a pet owner which, unfortunately, was recorded on the medical notes. If they weren't included their the claim would be ok. Could any insurance experts please help / assist /advise.

The end result is the pet has had the work done anyway, but if I got the money back, they would be one happy cat as I could afford to feed them fresh salmon instead of Whiskas for the forseeable future, lol.On a serious note any help would be most appreciated. Thankyou

Edited by citizenB
spelling

Most often pet insurance companies will reconsider once the vet has written a letter. IF you have not renewed your policy in between the visit of 2013 and now. This could be then argued as a predisposed condition.

Well done on speaking to your vet though, most of them will write a thorough letter detailing why it should be paid for.

Also, don't feed your cat too much salmon ;) A well balanced cat food is preferable :)

Many thanks for your response. The 2013 check up was at the beginning of February 2013 and I took out the insurance in April 2013. I basically swapped insurers as the current insurers were a lot cheaper for the same level of cover. Could this have any affect on the claim?The check up this year was again at the beginning of February and the dental work has just been carried out.I will ensure that salmon is provided as a treat only along with the occasional bit of caviar!! lol Other than that a nice well balanced diet.Regards

I basically swapped insurers as the current insurers were a lot cheaper for

the same level of cover.

This'll be why. You've taken out a new policy while your cat has a known pre-existing condition. Unless your policy with your previous insurer was a covered for life policy they wouldn't have paid out either.

• 1 month later...

Generally dental is not covered under any pet insurance and £500 for a cat with only 2 teeth out is extortionate! £200 would be more the sum expected to be charged.

Get an appeal logged with the insurance company with the vet letter as defence