Sold shop business, will proceeds be taxable

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3740 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there.

I don't have any direct experience of this, but here's a link to the HMRC website with information and a capital gains tax calculator. Common sense would say that CGT is only payable when you make a gain, but I don't understand all the complexities of selling a business.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/businesses/

I think HMRC have a helpline for business tax, it might be worth giving them a call. Or another option would be for your mother to have a half hour initial interview with an accountant to be sure.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Further information:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/intro/when-to-pay.htm#1

As your mother made a loss I would think no...is she still paying Tax?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Okay well Capital Gains tax is due on the profit she made, not on the amount of money she received for the asset which was a loss anyway.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, my mum has just sold her shop business due to ill health. She sold it for roughly half what she paid for it 13 years ago. will she have to pay anything (capital gains etc)from what shes sold it for to the taxman. thank you, Roxy

If she sold the shop as a going concern, then Entrepreneurs Relief will come into play - this allows for disposal of a business tax free up to £1m I believe - would be worth speaking to an accountant though. CGT probably wouldn't apply in this instance because you are not selling an asset (ie something that is tangible).