British Gas Account not in my name but appearing on my credit score!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently checked my credit file and was suprised to see that on there appeared a British Gas account - dating back to 2010 - i have only recently moved out of home so knew that this couldnt have been set up by me!

I lived at the property in question at the time but lived with my mum and her then boyfriend - i was over 18 so was named on the rental agreement but was unemployed so made no financial contributions whilst we lived there.

I received a letter from British Gas at the end of last week at my current house - addressed to my mums now ex boyfriend - I spoke with British Gas this morning and they said that the account for some reason had been amended - from my mums ex boyfriends name to mine! - they say they dont have any other details for me at all on the account DOB etc

I explained that it is my mums ex boyfriend that the account should be in and they are saying that they cant just change the name - and i that i have to get him to ring them and take accountability for the debt which is over £700 - which obviously he isnt going to do!! They have have also said that i could prove that i wasnt financially accountable at this time by providing a rental agreement but obviously as i was over 18 at the time i will appear on it!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Just received this tweet from British Gas

https://twitter.com/Real_CAG

British Gas Help @BritishGasHelp @

@real_cag That's not right. We need to get this sorted out. Pls DM me your details so we can look into this. ^Sharon

I have come across other instances of energy companies simply amending account details to the name of the current occupier and then chasing that person.

British Gas may deny it but there is a very good chance that this is what has happened.

You need to make sure that any solution includes complete deletion of any entries from your credit file.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah im having a right nightmare with British Gas!!

They replied earlier in this thread to direct message them on twitter - i dont even have twitter so i joined, i tweeted them regarding this and they followed me back so that i could direct message them - they didnt reply - i messaged them again - no reply, i then tweeted them saying all this and they said can you direct message us your details - but how can i get all of my information in 140 characters!! I gave them the address etc - no reply, ive messaged them again yesterday and tweeted them yesterday but still nothing!!!!

They are an absolute nightmare!

I cant even find a generic email address for me to email!!

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Chris Weston as you said and i got a response last Thursday saying that they were looking into it. I had a proper reply today from them basically saying that:

The account was never changed into my name - that the lettings agent that my mother and her partner rented the house through wrote to British Gas and told them that they were the new tenents and my name was given to British Gas at that time. - Would a lettings agent even do this!!

So they are saying that the bill was set up in all 3 of our names - so i am liable for the debt aswell as the other 2 -

Is there anything i can do now about this??

Will it be appearing on both of their credit files aswell??

Any comments greatly apprecialted

Dan