[Electoral Roll] Need advice (Unsure which forum to post in)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is my circumstances

Living with parents

Currently unregistered on electoral roll

Parents are on disability

Im working full time

Basically a friend at work told me i should be on the electoral roll if i ever want to get a house or rent a place but i have some questions first.

1. If i register will my parents lose money

2. will i have to start paying council tax while living at my parents house ?

Are you contributing to the household , e.g. paying rent etc.

If this is your permanent address you are a liable person for CT.

Getting credit or a tenancy will be virtually impossible if you are not on the ER.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Here is my circumstances

Living with parents

Currently unregistered on electoral roll

Parents are on disability

Im working full time

a friend at work told me i should be on the electoral roll if i ever want to get a house or rent a place but i have some questions first.

1. If i register will my parents lose money - no

2. will i have to start paying council tax while living at my parents house ?

- no you parents own the property

you are not liable for ctax.

yes get yourself on voters

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Do your parents disclose that you are living there as I'm fairly sure that would have some impact on their rent and council tax if you are not known to be living there.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

- no you parents own the property

you are not liable for ctax.

yes get yourself on voters

dx

Hey dx i forgot to say that my parents do not own the property, its a council house

makes no odds

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Anyone over the age of 18 residing permanently at an address becomes jointly liable for the CT payable on the property.

I know as when my granddaughter reached 18 whilst living with us she was automatically added to the names of those liable for the CT.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hmm

http://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/counciltax/495.asp

Hierarchy of responsibility

There is an order of priority, or 'hierarchy', to who is responsible for the council tax payment on any property.

Basically, if there is someone in the property who fits the first description, they are liable. If there's no-one fitting that description, then the person liable is the one who fits the second description - and so on.

The order of hierarchy is:

The person who lives there, who owns the freehold;

The person who lives there, who owns the leasehold;

The person who lives there, who is a statutory or ‘secure’ tenant;

The person who lives there, who has a contractual licence;

The person who lives there, or;

The owner.

To find out who is responsible for the bill we ask who is living there, and what interest they have in the property. We go through the order of priority in turn, to see which situation applies to the property, to find out who is liable to pay.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I have no interest in buying the property, infact my main reason for joining the electroal roll is to get my own place eventually, also i know i have never been asked to pay CT, are you sure it still applys seen as though both my parents are on disability ?

you wont be either.

it not like the poll tax days.

you might become a liable adult as you reside there.

IF it were not being paid by any other means.

dx

and they

You Probably Will Have To Pay A Contribution To Ct And Rent Based On Your Income. My Brothers Who Live At Home Do, Even Though My Mother Is A Claimant.

More Serious Is That If You Are Liable, And Your Parents Haven't Disclosed To Council You Live There, They Could Be Investigated For Benefit Fraud. A It Stands You Will Probably Have To Back Pay Any Liability Owed.

Have to agree fully with this edjama, any person over 18 permanently residing at an address should be notified to the council especially if benefits are being claimed.

Perhaps the requirements differ(although personally I doubt it,) the situation here where i live is as the post earlier:

"Council tax has to be paid on every property that isn’t exempt. Every council tax bill has just one name on it (or more if jointly liable), no matter how many people are living in the property. That person is the one who is 'liable' to pay, and they are usually over the age of 18 and living in the property themselves."

IN Tameside as above all actions for recovery are taken against the person or persons named on the bill, this I know for sure.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 2 weeks later...

If the OP is now 24 and he is liable for Council Tax since he was 18 then

he will almost certainly have to pay the 6 years of council tax that he has not paid,

unless during that 6 year period he was exempt from paying

perhaps he was a student in full time education of training for part of the period, or moved out and returned later.

However he will be liable for any council tax that is owed, and his parents have been committing a fraud by not declaring his presence so they could be punished.

Best option would probably to pay a visit to council and find out how much is owed

and then make necessary steps to repay the overpayment.

Of course if parents are disabled then he may be classified as their carer (he must provide a minimum of 35 hours care per week)

then he will be eligible for discounts as a carer.

with a council tenancy, the people who are liable to pay any council tax are those named on the tenancy agreement

if only your parents are named on the tenancy agreement, then they are responsible for any council tax payable

Prior to April 2013

as your parents were on a low income, they get help with their council tax by claiming council tax benefit

normally the amount of council tax benefit is reduced if there are any other adults living in the property, so your parents should have declared you were living with them

however if either of your parents were receiving the care component of disability living allowance, no reduction is applied for other adults living in the property

Post April 2013

Council Tax Benefit was abolished with effect from April 2013. Each Council has had to design their own Council Tax support scheme, a lot of Councils have mirrored the old scheme, which would again mean that there would be no deduction if one of your parents are in receipt of care component of Disability Living Allowance.

However you would need to double check this with your local council. This information should be available on their website.

If neither of your parents are receiving care component of Disability Living Allowance, then it might mean that they have received too much Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit/Support.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.