Tesco invading your privacy?

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Surely this cannot be allowed as they are not filming for security purposes but are in essence selling on your personal data without your permission. I know it is not data as it is generally known but it is still your data. However we have no idea how else that data coudl eb used. Tesco have your card details which gives your address plus your photo? Luckily we do not use Tesco so not really an issue for us.

Tesco is set to install hi-tech screens that scan the faces of shoppers as they queue at the till to detect their age and *** for advertisers. It will then tailor adverts to that person.

They've signed a deal with Lord Alan Sugar's Amscreen in a move which last night sparked fresh concerns from privacy campaigners about the growing use of "invasive" technology in the nation's shops.

The "OptimEyes" system will be rolled out into 450 Tesco petrol forecourts, which serve millions of customers a week.

It works by using inbuilt cameras in a TV-style screen above the till that identify whether a customer is male or female, estimate their age and judge how long they look at the ad.

The "real time" data is fed back to advertisers to give them a better idea of the effectiveness of their campaigns and enable them to tailor ads to certain times of the day.

http://www.signal1.co.uk/on-air/breakfast/topics/tesco-advert-face-scanner/

Edited by citizenB

Hmm, well I guess Azda will have an increase in customers then :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It's certainly an interesting development. I can't see how it would be an invasion of privacy though.
You have no idea what they are going to do with the images of yourself that they captured. For all you know you could be appearing on Youtube at some point with derogatory comments!

You have no idea what they are going to do with the images of yourself that they captured. For all you know you could be appearing on Youtube at some point with derogatory comments!

They've been capturing images of me for years already. Every time we all fill up we're getting filmed already.

They've been capturing images of me for years already. Every time we all fill up we're getting filmed already.

No issue with that as it is for security purposes and their own use, but in this case they are selling your "data" onto a third party which makes a difference. What if you wear a name tag and forget to take it off when you enter the building?

I guess if people are that concerned they can choose one of the other petrol retailers.

True but many people may not realise that they are being captured on CCTV for use by external companies. Also, they capture an image of your your face, match it with the details they already have from your loyalty card and they will be able to get to a new level of personal shopping. Or is that snooping?

I know that at the moment they are only talking about their garages but it's a dead cert that it will end up on all checkouts if they think it's a success.

Looks like we'll be using Morrisons even more.

Edited by Surfer01

It is designed for facial recognition and aims advertisements at male and female customers so it is really quite crude in its targeting at present but the capabilites are there. I'm certain that they will push it to full facial recognition attached to your clubcard or debut card and then you will get more precise targeting and more annoying adverts with that. The worrying bit is what they use it for next such as spotting previous shoplifters or awkward customers generally. That could be its undoing if it discriminates against people with certain characteristics like wheelchair users or tattoos.

Looks like we'll be using Morrisons even more.

Be certain that all the other supermarkets will be watching closely to see how tesco get on. Assuming there is no mass boycott, Tesco will probably realise some benefits from this, and if so, you can expect the others to follow suit. Moreover, it will be in their mutual interests to share data with one another.

These are big companies who collectively own most of the supply of food to the population. They have money, lawyers, resources, and if they take it upon themselves to record our movements and behaviour, there is practically nothing we can do, because they will all be at it.

• 1 month later...

So what? I couldn't give a damn if I'm filmed, it happens every time I walk down the street or go onto a bank or shop etc.

• Haha 1

Yep it's actually quite clever and if they send me vouchers for money off bread coz I look at a hovis ad then I'm all for it. Surely shoplifters being weeded out by this system is a good thing? Why would they discriminate against disabled people or tattoos?

Yes but as it still comes under the CCTV usage they would still legally have to display signage stating the purpose and use of that equipment for members of the public to see.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group