Today's Weather Warning and October 1987 ....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you missed the news today so far today, read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24690552

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Anyone remember Michael Fish weather forecast in October 1987....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24689376

I was stuck on Surbiton station for about 4 hours and trees on the line,No power,roads blocked.

Can you remember where you was in October 1987 and the great storms ?

Be safe.....

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I was 15 and at school in Scotland. A safe distance away. I'm not sure my fellow Scots were all that sympathetic, but I took the view that they should be ashamed of themselves for that.

Yes, foul weather is more common up here, but that storm was way worse than anything commonly experienced by anyone in Scotland south of the Shetlands.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Prob cos it was the tail end of a hurricane, and not a regular storm :p

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I was at home with my 1yo and no electricity.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Prob cos it was the tail end of a hurricane, and not a regular storm :p

Yes, quite. And I admit there have been times when I've been irritated with the way southern folks approach weather - I remember driving in Kent when half an inch of snow fell. That was hilarious.

But even back then at age 15, I knew this was not normal for the south of England and, frankly, would not have been normal had it hit Scotland. Scottish smugness was misplaced, and based largely on the fact that none of the smug Scots were actually there.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

so far so good here in notts

wet but thats it cant really remember 87 i would only have been 3, remember some power cuts tho

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

got wind and rain here at the moment but as yet nothing too awful, I am in East Anglia

Edited by snowdragon

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I had not long split up with a then partner (good riddance) and the flat we had together was waiting for exchange to take place.

I spent the night under a huge old solid dining table with a couple of male neighbours playing strip poker and drinking vodka and listening to the bangs and crashes outside. We didn't have power after a while so had a hurricane lamp there. The roof of the BP garage across the road was missing in the morning, as were the roofs of the adjacent row of shops.

I remember it well.Working in construction and in a seaside town i watched the weather report and still do perhaps 3 times a day.

I have not looked at the video,but will.Seem to remember Michael saying a lady has got in contact about a possible storm.

He said no need to worry my dear it will miss us.

Next day the South was battered.Kew Gardens and other places got ripped apart.

The temperature rose perhaps 15 degrees and the storm tore in.

Even up North i got 6 months work on the promenade.

I walked out of my front door to see Chimney Pots and slates and tiles,devastation all around.

I stood there and rubbed my hands together.For 5 minutes at least.A nice warm feeling.

Going round the town that day i must admit,i thought to myself Christmas had arrived.It certainly did that year.

:madgrin:

A nice fat Turkey,new decorations,presents,must have spent a couple of hundred.Extravagant for me,the person known as Scrooge-ha

I just wish i had chosen normal houses to repair not hotels etc on the prom.Very difficult.

People did not know what to do.Fences,trees,mess everywhere.I had a smile on my face for months.

Strange what can benefit some.I am thinking of it now.

Nice thread 45002.Brought back memories.

I had better say i felt sorry for people and all the trees,devastation caused for many.

Sillygirl 1-you were a naughty girl in those days.Strip poker and vodka a lethal combination.

Surprised you heard anything.

Just had a hail shower.Typical autumn day.Showers and sun.

Edited by tawnyowl

sunshine here now

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019