Wage arrestment through an English Court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I'm sure this question has been asked many many times but I can't find a definitive answer so thought I would ask myself.

I received a letter from Moon Beever Solicitors in relation to a pay day loan (£201). They have advised if I dont contact them they will apply to Northampton County Court to arrest my wages.

My question is can they do this through an English court or does it have to be done in a Scottish Court as I am domiciled in Scotland (always have been)? I seem to be finding conflicting info so thought I would ask. I am going to contact them but just wanted to know for my own information.

Many thanks

Hello and Welcome,

As far as I know Northampton County Court do not have Jurisdiction in Scotland and would have to apply to have you sued in your local Sheriff Court, there's a link here from the Govan law Centre.

http://www.govanlc.com/suedinengland.htm

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Anne,

I received a Claim Form from Northampton County Court a few years ago the Claimant being Cope's Solicitors, my defence was.......

Denied that this court has jurisdiction. I reside at [insert your full postal address]. This is my principal or main home and I am domiciled here for the purpose of section 41 of the Civil Jurisdiction & Judgments Act 1982 ('the 1982 Act'). I entered into a contractual agreement with the plaintiff as a consumer. Paragraph 3(4) to schedule 8 of the 1982 Act provides as follows: "(4) Proceedings may be brought against a consumer by the other party to the contract only in the courts for the place where the consumer is domiciled or any court having jurisdiction under rule 2(i)". Rule 2(i) concerns moveable property which has been arrested and is not applicable. Paragraph 3(6) does not apply. Accordingly, this action is incompetent for want of jurisdiction and should be dismissed with expenses in favour of the defendant.

Wasn't long before I recieved a copy of the Claimant's Notice of Discontinuance :)

To enforce a CCJ in Scotland, the creditor has to register it for enforcement at the Books of Council & Session (Court of Session) which will then give the authority for a Messenger-at Arms (Officer of Court similar to a Sheriff Officer) to serve a Charge for Payment then after 14 days:

serve an earnings arrestment (does not affect JSA);

bank arrestment;

attachment of possession outwith your home (ie a car provided it is valued in excess of £1,000).

Alternatively, a creditor may pursue a creditors sequestration (bankruptcy) at the sheriff court.

Edited by maroondevo52

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert