DIY store trolley in their car park failed - rolled away and hit another car - who's liable?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just moved house and

was at the local DIY store whose car park is on a bit of a slope and has signs everywhere,

used one of their provided trolleys to get a pile of DIY stuff,

got out to the car put the brake on, put baby in the back whilst doing this the trolley rolled off and bumped into someones car,

they were not happy,

i reported the failure of the brake to the staff at the DIY store

am i liable for the damage to the other car?

Both you and the other driver should go into the store and speak to the manager, if the brake on the trolley is faulty then IMO it is the stores liability.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

yes def.

if a brake is fitted and it did not work

hope you can identify which trolley it was

p'haps there is CCTV the manager can view too?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think the proof of negligence is the hard one.

was the diy store responsible for the possible faulty trolly brake ?? "even though they didn't know about??

were you responsible for not returning it to the area from which you collected it from?/ and did you make sure the trolley would not roll away before you left it do put your child in the vehicle?.

hard one to call,good luck.

yes ofcourse they are responsible for the faulty brake knowing about it or otherwise

good pearls of wisdom there...

H+S . duty of care

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes ofcourse they are responsible for the faulty brake knowing about it or otherwise

good pearls of wisdom there...

H+S . duty of care

dx

I'm not sure the fault would lie squarely with the retailer, though. The user would have a duty to use the trolley with reasonable skill too. I'm not sure it's a very clear cut situation at all.

Interesting points, very interesting to add..

The brake failed after it was applied (applied following the instructions provided (sign)) I have no mechanical knowledge to 'test' the brake to know if it was defective or not therefore surely it is the responsibility of the store to ensure the manual handling equipment was correctly maintained?

Today the other party has sent what i judge to be a 'fake' solicitors letter, not signed or dated, no name of the solicitor or address of the solicitor, no registration details, not on headed paper on cheap copier / printing paper (you can see through it) and alot of the vocabulary used in the letter is not as a solicitor would use.

Is it a crime / offence to impersonate a solicitor?

what does it say !

p.s just another thought I assume you had the third party involved confirm with you that the said brake was faulty,not just applied in an incorrect manor?.

I think this is what you will be up against,unless again said trolly can be called as a witness." showing it is faulty" obviously not in person.

Edited by themagician

ive googled the address on the letter stating acting for our client, its a residential address, the letters contents are poor and the vocabulary isnt that of a solicitor, and surely an un-signed / un-dated letter has no credence anyhow.

The damage, a tiny dink, one of those dent pullers it would be gone, paint isnt even broken, yes plenty of pictures, the estimate from the garage is also of questionable origin, no details of the garage its from seem to exist, i think its a bit of a [problem] myself...

Isn't car insurance not enforceable on private property?

If this happened to me I would be apologetic but nothing more, I have had cars damaged by trolleys in car parks and on complaining to the store been told 'go through your insurance', only for my insurance to say that it is not their responsibility as it happened on private property

I'd respond to that letter once and state that in taking legal advice (you don't have to say where) you are advising them that you believe you are not liable for any damages and they should direct their claim to the store, no further correspondence will be entered into unless they forward an official claim from small claims court.

Personally I wouldn't have provided any contact details at the scene as you were not obliged to

Just looking at your original post I'm wondering how they knew it was your trolley?

You are either the most honest person in the world and owned up to them when they returned to their car, or they were there and saw it - if it is the latter then why didn't they stop it?

Either way I think their letter is just trying it on and the next letter would be for a bill of about £300 for a garage to repair the damage, no way would I be admitting liability on this one, especially as I bet there are signs up that state private car park used at owners risk

• Haha 1

you need to refer them to the DIY stores insurers.

its a daily/weekly/montly task for the staff to check the brakes work under their insurance providers policy

rules

and under H+S rules.,

if the retailer provides the trolley

and the brake is faulty & that was the cause of the damage, then it squarely lies with the DIY insurers

they will inspect the safety check sheets. & view and CCTv at the time.

why do you think they put up signs & instructions

and they