£79 a week apprenticeship and £20 rent?

itstimenow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help me out.

Basically, I've been accepted for an apprenticeship and I'm due to start on Monday. I live with my dad, who has been informed that once it starts they want £20 council tax and rent from me. Bearing in mind I have £25 board and lodgings to pay, £5 petrol for my motorbike, insurance of £3 a week and dinners whilst I'm there I'm going to be no better off. Actually, I'll be worse off! I was fine with having £50 a week, but £28 is a joke. I get £56 now. Before anybody says anything about my motorbike, it's cheaper than the bloody bus.

I don't want to turn down this apprenticeship but I can see no way of it working. Is there anything I can do? :(. I've been unemployed quite a while and I was so happy. This news has ruined my day to be honest.

I think there is an exemption from non dependant deductions if the person (you) is in receipt of a work based training allowance, which you would be as an apprentice - certainly for the council tax. Worth looking into - your Dad may need to appeal the benefit decision applying the non dependant deductions.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

based upon your income, your father's hb will reduce by £13.60,

your father may be able to apply for a discretionary housing payment if he is unable to pay the £13.60

ctr is unlikely to change (although this may vary depending upon your council's local scheme)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I hope someone can help me out.

Basically, I've been accepted for an apprenticeship and I'm due to start on Monday. I live with my dad, who has been informed that once it starts they want £20 council tax and rent from me. Bearing in mind I have £25 board and lodgings to pay, £5 petrol for my motorbike, insurance of £3 a week and dinners whilst I'm there I'm going to be no better off. Actually, I'll be worse off! I was fine with having £50 a week, but £28 is a joke. I get £56 now. Before anybody says anything about my motorbike, it's cheaper than the bloody bus.

I don't want to turn down this apprenticeship but I can see no way of it working. Is there anything I can do? :(. I've been unemployed quite a while and I was so happy. This news has ruined my day to be honest.

Sorry to hear your story but please, please do not give up on your apprenticeship just find a way of working your finance with your dad, my son will be starting his apprenticeship too and we will sit down and work out between us how we can sort things out! There are help with the local authority as you've already been told, look into that but don't give up on a career, life is going to get tougher and you have your future ahead of you!

I hope things get sorted out for you!

Sorry to hear your story but please, please do not give up on your apprenticeship just find a way of working your finance with your dad, my son will be starting his apprenticeship too and we will sit down and work out between us how we can sort things out! There are help with the local authority as you've already been told, look into that but don't give up on a career, life is going to get tougher and you have your future ahead of you!

I hope things get sorted out for you!

Agree with Helen. It's not an ideal situation I know, but as long as the apprenticeship is worthwhile in securing later employment , try to look on it as short term pain for longer term gain. When you're qualified and earning a decent wage, things will look differently.

I personally would look on it as training at college. Is there anyway you could perhaps work in the evenings a couple of nights in a pub/bar. I worked at one whilst at college in the evenings as well as a retail job Saturdays. Working in a pub if great it's like having a night out but paid.!