HG523a Router and Talk Talk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

8 Days now and I've had problems keeping the Internet going as it keeps dropping, I have to keep resetting it every single time, I've phoned them up about 5 times and now I've given up hope

The questions I get asked are:

1. Make and Model of Router? Huawai HG523a

2. Am I using wired or wireless connection? wireless

3. Is there any problem with calls, i.e. receiving calls for someone else? Nope

4. Am I using laptop or desktop? Laptop

5. What Operating system am I using? Windows 8

6. What Browser am I using? Chrome

7. Have I tested the test socket? Yes

8. Have I got sky tv? Nope

9. Can you switch your router off and on? do that everytime broadband drops

10. can you access this webpage talktalk.co.uk? yes when I reset router

I've no idea what these questions have to do with broadband down time, but when I answer them, they reply with we've done checks our end and you have a connection. So there is nothing we can do.

Seems they are oblivious to admit that the router is now faulty. What Is my legal stance on this and can I withhold payment from them, I sure am thinking about switching providers, this is the only time it's happened in 12 months

Edited by craigals

Was the router supplied by them? Have you tried another laptop to eliminate the possibility that the dropouts could be caused by the NIC on your current one?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

could you not try a wired connection for a while?

that would nail it.

I take it you've not changed the way the route plugs into the phoneline on the wall

and there are no other devices plugged into the phone socket around the house that do not have a filter inline first.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think it may be time to call for an engineer here...

A tech support agent should open a case as it may be an issue with the phone line :/ ... you could also try your own router against there's to filter it out

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Huawai HG523a is a BAD modem. Pretty much a run of the mill, bog standard OEM one. Try what DX said, but i would test it on another connection first to isolate the cause.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I think it may be time to call for an engineer here...

A tech support agent should open a case as it may be an issue with the phone line :/ ... you could also try your own router against there's to filter it out

Talk talk engineers rarely do anything. They will take weeks telling you to go over and over your own system and wiring, while they perform a simple automated test on the line that lasts a few mins. In my experience, if there futile tests dont find a problem, they are flummoxed and give up.

Was the router supplied by them? Have you tried another laptop to eliminate the possibility that the dropouts could be caused by the NIC on your current one?

Yes the router was supplied by them, I have 2 laptops one for me the other is for my O/H both brand new laptops, but it seems strange since the drop outs only started 8 days ago

could you not try a wired connection for a while?

that would nail it.

I take it you've not changed the way the router plugs into the phoneline on the wall

and there are no other devices plugged into the phone socket around the house that do not have a filter inline first.

dx

When the router drops connection not even wired would do anything.

I've not changed anything with the way it's plugged in, it's been the same way for over a year

Ok. So the problem has been narrowed down to the router. Have you tried a replacement router to see if it fixes the issue?

Lets wait for that router to arrive. Since it was Talk talk that gave the router as part of the contract/package, perhaps theres a way for you to withold payments until such a time the line is usuable.

Regarding moving away, do you have the complete talk talk pakage inc phone line/bb etc, or just BB? If the former, then they could make it difficult to migrate away. If the latter, you just need the MAC code, which they cannot refuse to give you, although once you register with a new provider, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for the migration to be complete.

Hi

Have your checked the routers Firmware is up to date?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It's a cheap and cheerful no frills router, so you probably need a new one.

Lets wait for that router to arrive. Since it was Talk talk that gave the router as part of the contract/package, perhaps theres a way for you to withold payments until such a time the line is usuable.

Regarding moving away, do you have the complete talk talk pakage inc phone line/bb etc, or just BB? If the former, then they could make it difficult to migrate away. If the latter, you just need the MAC code, which they cannot refuse to give you, although once you register with a new provider, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for the migration to be complete.

It's the Broadband and Telephone Line I have, I am thinking of switching both to Sky as I've not had any problems in the past with sky

It's the Broadband and Telephone Line I have, I am thinking of switching both to Sky as I've not had any problems in the past with sky

Thats what my father did, and got 1/2 price fibre optic BB for 6 months too after he did some haggling on the phone. He seems much happier with it than he was with talk talk.

From my experience with TalkTalk they can see when your hardware is connected and when it is not. So, when you say "I've had problems keeping the Internet going as it keeps dropping" is that only on the laptop? the problem has not been narrowed down enough... If you leave it for a minute do you reconnect? do the lights on the front of the router change? if you reboot the computer does the connection return?

Give as much info regarding the problem and we'll see if there is any solution.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

From my experience with TalkTalk they can see when your hardware is connected and when it is not. So, when you say "I've had problems keeping the Internet going as it keeps dropping" is that only on the laptop? the problem has not been narrowed down enough... If you leave it for a minute do you reconnect? do the lights on the front of the router change? if you reboot the computer does the connection return?

Give as much info regarding the problem and we'll see if there is any solution.

When the router drops the connection, resetting the laptop does nothing, however on the router the flickering lights end up going solid to the point where I have either 2, 3 or 4 solid green lights, Basically everytime I lose connection I have to switch the router off then back on. Just to get internet again, so I know it's not my laptop

I had similar with the same router. I did the exact same as yourself and they sent me a replacement....

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar