Help! Parking Eye Taking My Dad to Court.....I was the driver!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To cut a long story short,

I borrowed my Dad's car to take some stuff to the tip, came back and did some shopping en route,

parked over the time limit in a car park run by parking eye by mistake and

my Dad started getting invoices.

He threw them away because I told him they were fishing,

now he has had court papers from the County Court Bulk Centre in Northampton and the total claim is £135!

His attitude is to pay it, mine is to fight it...

..any advice would be massively appreciated.

Reading the stickys will give you/your Father all the info you need to sucessfully fight this in your local Court - and claim your costs.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?88-Private-Land-Parking-Enforcement

Ask again here if anything is unclear - and keep us informed of progress.

[HB. Sorry it took so long to respond! ;):) ]

AFAIK you only seek costs at the Court Hearing and not as a Counterclaim. Others will correct me if I am incorrect.

As you rightly noticed, your priority is to submit an acknowledgement and defence within the time limits.

Out of interest for other WebSite forums I follow, what shop/store's car park was this?

I have just submitted my request for the full 28 days and disputed the jurisdiction of the Northampton court (On behalf of my Dad, apparently, I am a litigants friend now!)......wish me luck, does anyone know what I do from here?!

Why are you questioning the jurisdiction lol unless youre in scotland of course......Your Father will have to submit a defence, then he will receive an allocation questionnaire which is basically a self explanatory set of questions which need to be returned to Northampton...Don't bother with Alternative Dispute Resolution....Next the case will be transferred to your local county court and they will write to you to give you the hearing date.....Next the claimant has to pay a £55 hearing fee......Both your father and the claimant will have to submit documents that they intend to rely upon 14 days prior to the hearing to each other and the court....Where the defendant is not represented, the Deputy District Judge if fair and ensures the laws are applied.....A Wonderful Day out !.. Keep a record of all expenses such as postage, travel, petrol, stationary and a max £90 per day loss of earnings for time spent defending the matter......If the claimant chickens out they have to do it on the correct court forms and pay your father any costs upto that point.....Any party who fails to turn up loses by default

You don't have to question the jurisdiction of the court - Northampton is a Bulk issuing /clearing centre - once you have submitted a defence and the Claimant has advised if they want to continue, the case will be transferred to your local court.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Surely as the OP was the driver, he can do the defence although it is addressed to the registered keeper who was not the driver. I would think that it could be submitted in defence meaning that PE would have to start all over again?

I love that Idea but to be honest I don't think the Judge would be too pleased with the RK who could have saved time by naming the driver, so the arguments of landowner and the pre estimate of loss are enough to sink the mugs...Manchester City Council own the land so PE will need to produce a contract in court that specifically states that MCC give them permission to issue court proceedings in the name of the Council

Edited by Scouse Magic

The OP can make a request to the Court that as he was the driver at the time, he be included as a second defendant in the matter. As a Defendant's friend he can only advise the Defendant and not speak on his behalf. If he requested to be included as the second Defendant he could then have his say at the hearing.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS