speeding notice what do i do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I borrowed my husbands car for the day as I was going to Liverpool

he has just received a letter asking who was driving on that day

.it says that I was doing 36 in a 30 mph limit

now the offence was on the 16/7/13 but the letter is dated 21/8/13 nearly a month later.

now my husband says that because they havnt been in touch within 14 days

I don't have anything to worry about is this true and if so how do we proceed?

thanks

First things first.

Whether or not the notice is late the requirement to name the driver is still valid,

he must reply naming you within 28 days or he'll be committing a new offence himself and risking 6 points and a fine of several hundred pounds.

Now in order to prosecute you for speeding the police must serve a notice on the registered keeper of the car within 14 days of the alleged offence, subject to a few exceptions.

So the first question is whether your husband the registered keeper, ie is it his own car?

Does he have the V5C (the registration document) and are his details correct on it?

Is it a company or lease car- if so he is almost certainly not the registered keeper.

If it is his car

the next question is

has he bought it or changed address in the last few months?

If so the details recorded with the DVLA may have been out of date at the time of,the offence so the 14 day would not apply.

If he is the RK and has been for some time

another possibility is that the letter you have is a reminder and that the first copy got lost in the post.

In that case in theory you have a defence to speeding,

but the onus would be on you to prove that the original notice did not arrive

- not easy.

rather than having nothing to worry about you should be prepared for a fight if you want to argue.

First things first.

Whether or not the notice is late the requirement to name the driver is still valid,

he must reply naming you within 28 days or he'll be committing a new offence himself and risking 6 points and a fine of several hundred pounds.

Now in order to prosecute you for speeding the police must serve a notice on the registered keeper of the car within 14 days of the alleged offence, subject to a few exceptions.

So the first question is whether your husband the registered keeper, ie is it his own car? YES

Does he have the V5C (the registration document) and are his details correct on it? YES

Is it a company or lease car- if so he is almost certainly not the registered keeper. N/A

If it is his car

the next question is

has he bought it or changed address in the last few months? NO

If so the details recorded with the DVLA may have been out of date at the time of,the offence so the 14 day would not apply.

If he is the RK and has been for some time

another possibility is that the letter you have is a reminder and that the first copy got lost in the post. DOSNT SAY ITS A SECOND LETTER

In that case in theory you have a defence to speeding,

but the onus would be on you to prove that the original notice did not arrive

- not easy.

rather than having nothing to worry about you should be prepared for a fight if you want to argue.

hi

thanks for the reply hes going to send it off giving my name and we will see what happens

• 1 month later...

but do I send it back with a letter saying that its over the 14 days?

being over the 14 days is completely irrelavent to the letter you have received at the moment. If you think about it, you, as the second recipient couldn't possibly receive that letter in 14 day.

1 They had to write to the RK (your hubby) in 14 days

2 he had 28 days to reply

3 following his reply they write to the newly named person (you) to check you accept the transfer effectively

so your letter could be 5/6/7 weeks or more after the "offence".

Simply return the form in the same fashion your hubby did, accepting that you were the driver on that day.

Once they confirm they are procecuting you, only then can you look into the possibility that the original NiP was late and only if all the conditions that Aretnap highlighted are met.

• 1 month later...