man cuts his neck in job centre due to bedroom tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not helpful!

Isn't it enough that this was a guy pushed to self harm due to government cuts - and the only reason we know about this one is that it was in a public place - how many do not make the papers?

Yes very true. This incident could be the tip of the iceburg. I know many mental health sufferers at Mind and Hafal are on the brink. There are many individuals who just cant make the centres nowerdays as a result of all thats going on with ESA, JSA, UJM and atosh.

It would be interesting to find out how many individuals have gotten worse over the last few years as a result of the fiasco.

Geez the poor guy, being pushed so far to do this. Its terrible. Its a national crisiss.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy needed a psychiatrist not the Jobcentre.

Definitely not balanced and possibly saw the 'Bedroom Tax' as the last straw.

Can't attach any blame to the government for this.

the added stress and financial burden of the bedroom tax added to his problems and like you said maybe was the last straw for him the government made these rules and it is now effecting people especially those who have mental health problems and illnesses so id say they was partly responsible yes weather you agree with me or not that's just my opinion

I don't recall anyone doing anything like this when LHA was introduced, in fact, I don't think there was any protesting at all.....

LHA only applied to new claims - few were stuck in a house they couldn't afford, as eligible rent and local reference rent, partly based on household size, and a determination of the appropriate rent for the size of house for the local area, had already applied to housing benefit claims for private renting in one form or another for a while. When LHA originally came in, some people were actually better off.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

LHA only applied to new claims - few were stuck in a house they couldn't afford, as eligible rent and local reference rent, partly based on household size, and a determination of the appropriate rent for the size of house for the local area, had already applied to housing benefit claims for private renting in one form or another for a while. When LHA originally came in, some people were actually better off.

Yeah. IIRC, LHA used to allow a claimant to keep up to £20 per week or so of any difference between the benefit rate and the actual rent. Plus, of course, if HB used to pay private tenants well above the average for their needs, I sure as hell don't recall those days.

So indeed, most folks didn't suddenly find themselves £70 to £120 per month short on the rent.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yeah. IIRC, LHA used to allow a claimant to keep up to £20 per week or so of any difference between the benefit rate and the actual rent. Plus, of course, if HB used to pay private tenants well above the average for their needs, I sure as hell don't recall those days.

So indeed, most folks didn't suddenly find themselves £70 to £120 per month short on the rent.

I have a vague memory of the amount of difference that could be kept being unlimited to start - maybe in the pathfinder areas (or maybe I'm completely imagining this - entirely possible), and then reduced to only £15 a week. I do remember some of my clients being ecstatic - particularly those in studios who still qualified for the one bed rate.

Sadly everyone has a breaking point ,having to move out of your house because you cant afford to live there could well push anyone over the edge ..Ive not read

the story but I would imagine there are many that would like to slash a few throats regarding this tax ,not theirr own I might add ..

estellyn yeah and I think you are been generous stating £5 a week council tax. Increaes around here exceed that.

These increases dont even need to be so brutal eg. if council tax was not frizen and the pain shared (they keep going on about fairness)but instead its all focused on the working age vulernable, councils have been effectively told you can increase tax intake but only on those who qualify for CTB of working age.

Now with the housing benefit changes and CTB changes been more focused on discretionary paments, people no longer have a stable supportive system to fall back on, instead its a postcode lottery with councils at their discretion on what help they provide.

Since nov 2012 I havent paid for my own food, its either been on my credit card (balance still going up) or sister buys my food for me. Another family member is making min payments to my credit card for me to keep it going. They only really doing this because the alternative is I cant live on my own anymore and one of them ends up takign me in, so they only really doing this as its better than the alternative. I have been trying to find out when I am 35 does my HB automatically jump back up or do I wait for next reveiew which is 9 months after my birthday.

I have also now been diagnosed iwth malnutrition in addition to my other existing problems, when I tried to see cost for proper diet, the cost of the food was completely overwhelming. Even before IDS's changes the benefit level was chronically too low. I do wonder how much better I would be if I was eating proper meals on a regular basis.

The guy needed a psychiatrist not the Jobcentre.

Definitely not balanced and possibly saw the 'Bedroom Tax' as the last straw.

Can't attach any blame to the government for this.

Could you please expand on this and explain why the government is blameless?

Ive tried to work it out for myself but all I see is the government, through its unfair policies, driving people to do unorthidox things.

A more effective protest might be a mass sit down at local government offices..

If it happened yes but for a mass protest you need time, money, resources, people and things I cant think of right now.

If you are suffering, at your witts end or maybe suffering with sickness, disability or mental health issues then organising a mass protest will seem far beyond their reach at this time of dispear.

Many individuals have commited suicide or self harmed and I dont think a mass protest was on their agenda.

Political speech.

There are a lot of 'the Government this and the Government that' in this thread, but the reality is they are in the exact same boat.

Have a read in the Debt forums about people borrowing to pay bills, well this is exactly what this Government are having to do thanks to the last lot of muppets. Borrowing to pay bills eventually comes to a head and all further funding is non existent.

A nation as great as the UK should be lending money to others not borrowing. The Labour Government didn't care and just continued to borrow, borrow, borrow wasting it on silly projects like 'two' giant aircraft carriers, ships we don't have the sailors to crew or aircraft to arm.

The biggest bill in the UK is the Welfare bill which outstrips the amount collected, it can't continue.

I think they have gone waaaay beyond that and are now using this as an excuse to force god knows how many 'reforms' through. Reforms set up to reshape Britain into the place the Tories have always wanted.

We can't be in that much debt if we can afford to give people earning over £140k a tax cut, or send money to countries abroad.

I think they're using this country's debt as an excuse.

I think they just want to get rid of the welfare state and they don't who it harms.

Please don't think I am taking sides here as I am not.

Welfare was set up to provide funds for those, (mainly war widows), who had hit desperate times, it was never devised as the complete wage for those not in work that it has turned into.

Coupons and cash were issued so a family could survive not live a normal wage earners standard of living.

I'm not saying there are enough jobs to go around etc, but with the myriad of add on's and credits available now, it has got out of hand.

We don't all live a life of luxury.

See this is why you cannot have a discussion with anyone, they always throw in silly things that were never said. There is no mention anywhere of 'living in luxury' and I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned such a thing.

Welfare was set up to provide funds for those, (mainly war widows), who had hit desperate times, it was never devised as the complete wage for those not in work that it has turned into.

Coupons and cash were issued so a family could survive not live a normal wage earners standard of living.

I'm not saying there are enough jobs to go around etc, but with the myriad of add on's and credits available now, it has got out of hand.

The majority of the welfare bill goes on pensions and housing benefit payments to private landlords - however these things are not targeted. The things that are actually being targeted make up a small proportion of the total welfare bill - this is simply a case of an economic excuse being used to push through an ideological agenda.

Well said estellyn, although I suspect some will never see whats really going on with this awful government.

Well If more companies actually paid their workers a living wage they wouldn't need these 'add on's' would they.

Edited by sadone

Just as well u r not saying there is enough jobs to go round because there is a massive short fall ,as for a normal wage earners living, *** edited *** is anyone on benefits getting that kind of money ? BTW a normal wage earners living as you put it is about 28k a year ,this tax was basically introduced to shift long term tennants from their dwellings if their family have moved out leaving them with what is percieved as house that is too big for them ,introduced by a government that sold

off council housing stock that basically ended up in the hands of private landlords who then rent the same house back to people at 4 times the rent ,as these people can

not afford these rents the government pays the rent ,all this on a property that they owned in the first place..you cannot make it up tbh ..

Any profit on council house sales was swallowed up by HB payments many moons ago ..

As for the decision regarding sick and disabled people not being entitled to their own room it actually beggars belief ,but then again with this shower in power it doesnt .

Edited by Conniff