man cuts his neck in job centre due to bedroom tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this has been taken to ECHR?

There's one thing I can't understand about the bedroom tax - there are some disabled people who are given a 2 bedroom adapted flat because they have medical equipment and whatnot. They can't move because there are no suitable one bedroom flats and if they moved, they have to pay back some of the grant used to adapt their house.

These people should be exempt, imo. They haven't chosen to be placed in a 2 bedroom flat - they have no choice.

If a disabled person lives in a one bedroom property and a carer stays in the living room where a sofa bed is, what are the rules there..

No bedroom tax would apply in that case.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Would the disabled persons benefits be affected by having a live in carer..

Not normally, no - at least if the person who lives in is a paid carer rather than a family member or friend. But if a person receives ESA and someone else receives Carers Allowance for them, then no Severe Disability Premium is payable.

So the answer really is "it depends".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

So you don't believe the country is in debt and is borrowing, the Government has made it all up ?

well it is.

however this government claims that it is some kind of unusual unsustainable practice when governments have worked this way for centuries, the debt is at a lower level than eg. in the 1990s when the tories were previously in power. So its real, but its been greatly blown out of proportion to justify policies.

Please don't think I am taking sides here as I am not.

Welfare was set up to provide funds for those, (mainly war widows), who had hit desperate times, it was never devised as the complete wage for those not in work that it has turned into.

Coupons and cash were issued so a family could survive not live a normal wage earners standard of living.

I'm not saying there are enough jobs to go around etc, but with the myriad of add on's and credits available now, it has got out of hand.

you may be right, but why not just say that to people instead of making up stories why they doing what they doing.

be aware tho these addons are mainly for children. for a childless adult the amount that is provided is very low. Also that the amount I get (ESA SG) is not enough for basic living costs, as a large chunk of it I am having to use to subsidise my rent after a forced housing benefit cut. Yet they have been giving out messages people have cash spare and are boozing and smoking with it.

See this is why you cannot have a discussion with anyone, they always throw in silly things that were never said. There is no mention anywhere of 'living in luxury' and I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned such a thing.

well there is a mention.

you mentioned vouchers etc.

If they saying they have to give out vouchers, thats a suggestion people are spending cash on non essentials, why else use vouchers?

government ministers including IDS and osborne have said outright they feel benefits are spent on drugs and booze.

well there is a mention.

you mentioned vouchers etc.

If they saying they have to give out vouchers, thats a suggestion people are spending cash on non essentials, why else use vouchers?

government ministers including IDS and osborne have said outright they feel benefits are spent on drugs and booze.

Yeah. It reminds me of the recent case in Florida, where they decided to drug test all recipients of food stamps. It cost a fortune, and I believe about 2% of all those involved tested positive. The company that made the drug test equipment was happy, though.

In any case, why does it matter if benefit recipients spend it all on booze? It just means they'll be starving in a cold dark apartment.

Yeah. It reminds me of the recent case in Florida, where they decided to drug test all recipients of food stamps. It cost a fortune, and I believe about 2% of all those involved tested positive. The company that made the drug test equipment was happy, though.

In any case, why does it matter if benefit recipients spend it all on booze? It just means they'll be starving in a cold dark apartment.

I seen a news article somewhere about this in canada also, they are bringing it in or have already done so. When I read it I thought how long before it happens here as they can use it to claim they clamping down on widespread drug use and make some company a profit for doing the testing, as well as adding a further detterent to claiming.

Once every week or two, my husband will have one drink (and says 'don't tell Cameron', while he's pouring, and makes the one drink last hours - at least he's a cheap date!!), and I drink rarely (doesn't go with my meds), neither of us smoke. So out of the pence we have left at the end of the month after food, bills, rent etc, I'm not sure how anyone on benefits can afford to smoke, drink to excess or buy drugs.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I've felt for some time now that we should breathalyse and drug test our legislators. I mean, there are what, 13 subsidised bars in the Parliament building and I would imagine half of them are steamin' when they vote on bills.

Unlike benefit recipients, MPs drunken bad decisions can actually affect us all.

I've felt for some time now that we should breathalyse and drug test our legislators. I mean, there are what, 13 subsidised bars in the Parliament building and I would imagine half of them are steamin' when they vote on bills.

Unlike benefit recipients, MPs drunken bad decisions can actually affect us all.

Also, agreed.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I seen a news article somewhere about this in canada also, they are bringing it in or have already done so. When I read it I thought how long before it happens here as they can use it to claim they clamping down on widespread drug use and make some company a profit for doing the testing, as well as adding a further detterent to claiming.

It's been talked about in a few places - perhaps Minnesota or another US state has also tried it. In every case where they have done this, the results have been similar:

• The testing cost the taxpayer much more than the benefits saved by cutting off those who tested positive
  • Benefit claimants have a rate of drug use that is the same or less than the general population
  • Companies that make drug testing kits cashed in

And in the end, why is it anyone else's business what benefit recipients spend their money on?

Aren't drug users a minority, anyway?

Very much so, yes. The Daily Mail ranting about drug using benefit scroungers is really just a ruse. Also, benefit claimants have, on average, the same number of children as everyone else. Oh, and they're mainly white and British.

But well, if enough lies are told convincingly, we can reassure ourselves that our problems are all someone else's fault. Like Ronnie Reagan's imaginary "welfare queen".

Political speech.

There are a lot of 'the Government this and the Government that' in this thread, but the reality is they are in the exact same boat.

Have a read in the Debt forums about people borrowing to pay bills, well this is exactly what this Government are having to do thanks to the last lot of muppets. Borrowing to pay bills eventually comes to a head and all further funding is non existent.

A nation as great as the UK should be lending money to others not borrowing. The Labour Government didn't care and just continued to borrow, borrow, borrow wasting it on silly projects like 'two' giant aircraft carriers, ships we don't have the sailors to crew or aircraft to arm.

The biggest bill in the UK is the Welfare bill which outstrips the amount collected, it can't continue.

I dont support any party.

I can remember when those so called "muppets" were in government and torys in opposition. Never once did I hear the opposition agree to or ask for cuts.

Also them "muppets" bailed out the bankers for £zillions so thats where a huge chunk of the cash went.

The tory cuts is ideology in nature.

Much of the problems today is a result of Thatcher. Look into it a bit deeper. The evidence is there.

Its intersting to see who is making money during this so called recession.