Unum PHI payments stopped ME/CFS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone I would like some advice regarding Unum who my employer has PHI through.

I have been on long term sickness from April 2012 with me/cfs. I am signed off by my doctor.

Today I received a letter from my employer stating Unum have decided to stop my payments. I am unable to contact Unum directly so emailed my employer who stated 'Unum can stop payments at any time'? I advised I think this is discrimination and asked for the reports as to why.

How can they just stop my money with no explanation not sure where to go as my employer is also looking to get rid of me so waiting for a date for 'formal long term sickness meeting'.

Hello there.

I hope the forum guys can advise from an HR point of view.

Unum are known to play hardball and I know someone who had a couple of problems with them along the lines of yours. We've had other reports on here too. From what I've seen, they can decide you're fine when you're not, but I don't suppose they're the only insurer to do this.

To argue your case, you need to get hold of what Unum have said about you so you can see if they're playing by their own rules. Do you know what the name of your employer's cover is please?

I hope the guys will be able to advise you how to get hold of the information you need or to get your HR people to argue. Is there a broker or intermediary involved please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

This sounds like it might be 3 month qualifying period + 12 months pay out?

You really need to know what was covered under the policy.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

HR should completely know what they were paying premiums for, and it may be in your contract of employment?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi,

I'm only in here briefly tonight but I have been through this personally myself.

As Emmzzi says, you must contact HR and find out the exact terms of the policy.

I believe your employer is obliged to give you the policy terms, I attained a copy under the Data Protection Act.

I had major problems with my company attempting to 'terminate my employment', whilst they were not bothered in chasing up UNUM to establish the exact reason as to why the policy stopped paying. In my circumstances I was still entitled to cover, (i.e. the terms had not finished) and UNUM sent me to a Psychiatrist in an attempt to place ME/CFS under mental health when in is recognised as neurological.

UNUM were really awful, and I had a fight for the policy to continue whilst in employment. My employer like yours attempted to get rid of me, but I took advice from a solicitor who has expertise in this area.

I believe your employer has to follow up with UNUM properly, ie if you want to know why payment has stopped. They cant just take UNUMs word for it, there is an 'appeal process' which the employer is obliged to perform on your behalf if you request this of them. This is of course relevant to the policy still having time to run, and UNUM just stopping payment as they (find any excuse to) decide you are not covered ie fit for work.

I know I am not allowed to advertise on here, but there as details of this in a well know ME magazine. With leaflets also available for advice on PHI.

You might want to call them up and purchase a leaflet, and a magazine for some advice.

Also searching on PHI and employer responsibilities on the internet can bring up some interesting reading.

Also, as the ball has started rolling you might want to sent DPA requests to both UNUM and your employer.

UNUM send you all your info directly (due to confidentiality) so don't let your employer tell you they are entitled to see all of UNUMs notes.

Likewise, you should get a complete copy of the policy and all correspondence between your employer and UNUM, from your employer which should fall under the DPA also.

Not a nice thing to request from the employer, and mine got quite annoyed with me for requesting it. But I found out that my employer was not completing the documents accurately to UNUM, in addition to the basic fact UNUM were using any excuse not to pay.

Im sorry I cant help any further tonight, Ive just signed on quickly as I have ATOS issues.

Funny enough i've heard the ATOS test was contributed to by UNUM!

Good Luck

Me_too

Unum have been acting as advisers to the govt since the mid-90s, this has been reported by Private Eye. They were bought in by Peter Lilley. If you want to get an idea of what you're up against, Google for Unum scandal.

Unum have been acting as advisers to the govt since the mid-90s, this has been reported by Private Eye. They were bought in by Peter Lilley. If you want to get an idea of what you're up against, Google for Unum scandal.

Hello there.

Thank you for this, but DWP issues don't necessarily help with employer insurance issues. It's better to stay focussed on that in my view, rather than veer off into Unum's problems in the States and involvement with our national policy, if you don't mind my saying. It could depress the OP.

I agree with what you're saying, but this is an employment matter. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum