Anyone use a Radar detector?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I read that they are legal but does anyone use one in the UK? Do they work? What is the Polices response when they see one in your car?

Do they work against temporary speed cameras?

Can anyone recommend one?

why speed?

there are numerous websites/forums

just use a search engine

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

why speed?

there are numerous websites/forums

just use a search engine

dx

Lets be honest all of us do 5-6mph over the speed limit without realizing. My local police have started to put too many speed cameras all over the place. I am not looking for a licence to speed just a early warning to correct my speed when I am a few mph's over the limit.

You may be honest but its your responsibility to make sure you dont exceed the limit.

YOu dont need a detector as that could show you know you are speeding.. you even admitted that.. you just dont want to get caught.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You may be honest but its your responsibility to make sure you dont exceed the limit.

YOu dont need a detector as that could show you know you are speeding.. you even admitted that.. you just dont want to get caught.

Ok yes I don't want to get caught. Can we skip the lectures now. I want to keep a clean licence when I don't realize I am over the speed limit by a few miles. Can someone who has one of knows more about them reply.

Most detectors do check almost all speed traps. However, you need a higher rated one for hand guns. The best way though is to simply stop speeding.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Do you mean radar or laser?

Nearly all mobile speed traps these days use laser based devices, not radar.

A radar detector will detect static Gatsos, but I reckon they're a waste of money as the MK1 eyeball is a cheap and effective way of detecting bright yellow boxes.

Meanwhile a laser detector will detect mobile speed traps, but they're also a waste of money as a laser gun takes about 1/3 of a second to measure your speed,

so by the time you hear your detector's alarm it's too late to do anything about it.

Meanwhile neither a radar nor a laser detector will be any use against a Truvelo camera,

which emits nothing and works via strips in the road, nor a good old fashioned unmarked plod car.

Basically if you break the speed limit you have to accept that there's a risk of being caught.

If you tend to drift over the limit without realising, have some money to spend and want to keep a clean licence

your best investment is probably a sat nav which you can set to shout at you when you break the speed limit.

Alternatively you could borrow my wife, who does the same job for me. The sat nav will be cheaper in the long run though. :)

• Haha 2

Do you mean radar or laser? Nearly all mobile speed traps these days use laser based devices, not radar. A radar detector will detect static Gatsos, but I reckon they're a waste of money as the MK1 eyeball is a cheap and effective way of detecting bright yellow boxes. Meanwhile a laser detector will detect mobile speed traps, but they're also a waste of money as a laser gun takes about 1/3 of a second to measure your speed, so by the time you hear your detector's alarm it's too late to do anything about it.

Meanwhile neither a radar nor a laser detector will be any use against a Truvelo camera, which emits nothing and works via strips in the road, nor a good old fashioned unmarked plod car. Basically if you break the speed limit you have to accept that there's a risk of being caught. If you tend to drift over the limit without realising, have some money to spend and want to keep a clean licence your best investment is probably a sat nav which you can set to shout at you when you break the speed limit. Alternatively you could borrow my wife, who does the same job for me. The sat nav will be cheaper in the long run though. :)

lol :-D

no very very true

don't speed.

simples

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok yes I don't want to get caught. Can we skip the lectures now. I want to keep a clean licence when I don't realize I am over the speed limit by a few miles. Can someone who has one of knows more about them reply.

Get a Satnav and set it up to warn when you are exceeding the speed limit.

My local police have started to put too many speed cameras all over the place.

It is not the Police who put up speed cameras, it is the local authority who set them up. Once upon a time the Police had to be consulted, but the regulations changed a few years ago and now any local authority can set up a camera providing the appropriate regulations are in place. The Police are simply required to enforce it.

What an amazing load of tosh, I can't believe that I was once called sanctimonious on here.

It would seem that the hoity toity, holier than thou brigade are all here over with their various 'Don't Speed' messages.

Yuk

Get yourself a Road Angel Gem....................Brilliant. Saved my bacon lots of times.

https://www.roadangelgroup.com/Products.aspx

Evens up the fight against the evil camerati.

H

46 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

HMCTS Approved Technical Expert and Independent Motor Trade Consultant

Speed cameras are there for a purpose. Dont want to get fined? Dont speed. Comments like yours are not welcome here.

£160 to pay to speed where you can...urmm...

bit like having to pay a fine when caught!

dx

and they

What an amazing load of tosh, I can't believe that I was once called sanctimonious on here.

It would seem that the hoity toity, holier than thou brigade are all here over with their various 'Don't Speed' messages.

Yuk

Get yourself a Road Angel Gem....................Brilliant. Saved my bacon lots of times.

https://www.roadangelgroup.com/Products.aspx

Evens up the fight against the evil camerati.

H

Finally someone who thinks logically. Thanks for the advice.

Finally someone who thinks logically. Thanks for the advice.

Logical thinking would tell you not to speed in the first place. Instead of trying to find ways not to get caught.

Logical thinking would tell you not to speed in the first place. Instead of trying to find ways not to get caught.

Oh come on! You are telling me that you have never been 3-4mph over the limit? A friend of mine got a ticket for 34mph on a 30mph and his Insurance has also gone up. I am not talking about doing 110mph on a motorway here. yes sometimes I might exceed limit by 3mph and I wanna cover my back.

Can you guys stop with the lectures. There are much worse people out there to go after.

I drive under the limit. I only ever go over on a motorway or dual carriageway when overtaking. Unlike some people, im not a dangerous driver nor out to run people over. The speed limits are there for a reason. Even going 5 mph over the posted limit is enough to kill someone if they get knocked down.

I drive under the limit. I only ever go over on a motorway or dual carriageway when overtaking. Unlike some people, im not a dangerous driver nor out to run people over. The speed limits are there for a reason. Even going 5 mph over the posted limit is enough to kill someone if they get knocked down.

Great! You should get some brownie points for that.

Great! You should get some brownie points for that.

It's called following the law and not thinking im cool or smart for deliberately speeding. But i guess it will take a shock to show you what you are risking.

It's called following the law and not thinking im cool or smart for deliberately speeding. But i guess it will take a shock to show you what you are risking.

Again read my posts. I am not asking for a licence to speed, everyone goes over by 3-4 mph. You are a fool for thinking that you don't.

I will go over and you can't stop me. Lets leave it at that. No amount of preaching can change that. Grow up.

I am going by all your posts where you think and indeed imply that speeding is ok. If you dont want to go over the speed limit, check your speedo, and drive slightly under. If you go 3-4 mph over the limit ( you go more), then it is YOUR fault entirely, and are simply trying to find an excuse for it. Plain and simple. Your arguments have been used ad infitium in many speeding cases. NONE of them hold any water at all.

I will go over and you can't stop me. Lets leave it at that. No amount of preaching can change that. Grow up.

Thankyou for proving my point and disproving every single argument you made in this post. It's only a matter of time before you injure someone or worse.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks