Laptop returned unprepared by Knowhow

Cheeted
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought my laptop from PC World back in July 2011 and also signed up for a Whatever Happens cover for which I've had to pay £7.99 every month. A couple of weeks ago, I had a slight accident where I spilled some coffee on the laptop. It refused to turn on after that and I took it in to PC World for repairs. They've returned the laptop yesterday with a letter stating that they won't repair the laptop because their engineer thinks that the damage is inconsistent with the explanation and it is too severe!

Could someone please tell me what my options are at this point? I feel a bit cheated by PC World who said that the laptop would be repaired "Whatever Happens" including accidental damage. I have lost all my data that was in the hard disk. And I don't have a laptop since the incident. They had said initially that the laptop would be repaired and returned in 10 days.

Well I'm at a loss to imagine on what basis they could refuse to repair.

What have they provided to you in writing?

Well I'm at a loss to imagine on what basis they could refuse to repair.

What have they provided to you in writing?

The relevant part of the letter :

"We have carried out an inspection and in the opinion of our engineer the damage seen is inconsistent with the reported explanation and/or the damage exceeds what we would expect given the circumstances. As a result of our findings repairs are not covered by your Agreement and we are returning your product to you unrepaired.

If you do not agree with our conclucion or you have further information that contradicts what our engineers believe then please send details in writing to:

DSG Retail Limited

Knowhow Claims Investigations

etc..

When further details are received the matter will be reviewed and we may in the interest of impartiality pass this mtter to third party investigators. If this is necessary H.M. Investigations will contact you to discuss your claim in more detail. It is essential that you keep your product untouched pending this process." etc.

It sounds to me as though they are trying to work out of repairing the laptop either because its too expensive to repair or because they are unable to repair it and may be faced with issuing a replacement product.

Edited by Cheeted
Additional information

Make sure that you have screenshots of all of their claims for the insurance. Write to them and tell them that you do not accept what they say and that they are bound to repair the laptop or replace it.

You can either get into an exchange of correspondence about it or else you can tell them that you will sue in 14 days. You choose. Read our small claims FAQ.

DSG are their legal arm and they will drive their heels in until they receive the court papers and then probably cave in at the last minute.

Thank you for this information!

I have prepared the following letter that I'm planning to send out today. I would appreciate it if you could point out any negatives. Thanks in advance.

To,

Whomsoever it may concern

DSG Retail Limited

Knowhow Claims Investigation

Maylands Avenue

Hemel Hempstead

HP2 7TG

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Job Reference Number xxxx

Further to your letter dated 28/06/2013, I would like to state that I do not agree with your conclusion to the matter regarding my HP laptop which was submitted for repairs.

This laptop was purchased in 2011 and I had simultaneously purchased the “Whatever Happens” agreement. I had been informed by the sales agent that this would cover any repairs that may be needed including accidental damage.

I am unsure how much “further information” you wish for me to provide regarding the accident. This was an accidental damage and going by the terms of the Agreement, this should be covered.

I request you to honour the Agreement either by repairing this laptop or by replacing the product, as you have clearly stated on the Agreement. If this matter is not resolved as soon as possible, you leave me with no alternative but to escalate the matter to the County Courts, as the lack of a laptop has made it very difficult for me to carry on my day to day activities. In addition, I have incurred a considerable amount of expense in phone calls to KNOWHOW as well as a great deal of stress in the way this matter has been handled.

I hope to hear from you at the earliest.

Kind Regards

we've had this several times here already

there's a CEO address here somewhere to write to.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

CEO - sebastian james

cant post email addresses as not got 10 posts, but work it out, its - sebastian.james

followed by

@dixons.co.uk

you can also call their legal dept direct on - 01727 20 20 30

or call them on freephone

0800 5878787