Can I claim money back or not?

davidmac1987
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello i will try and cut a long story short.

Basically for years i was seriously worrying about my teeth not being straight and it seriously crippled my life and still has so, I paid £2500 for private orthadontic treatment which straightened my teeth but i am still as anxious as before because my teeth stick out a bit.

I have just been diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder which is the reason for all this anxiousness, as i have this disorder would i be able to claim back that £2500 through mental illness? If so who do i see about this.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG.

So we can decide which forum might be able to help you, who are you thinking of claiming against please?

My best, HB

Hi I would be trying to reclaim the money back through the NHS

Thank you. What do you think they've done wrong please?

HB

I do not think they have done anything wrong, the NHS pays for people's orthodontic treatment if there is a good enough reason for it. At the time I had not been diagnosed with this illness so had to pay for the treatment mysel. I was just wondering if I could claim the money back.

I think you're probably on to a non-starter to be honest. You made a choice to have that treatment. You didn't have it because a doctor said it was needed,

If you thought the NHS should pay you should have discussed it with your dentist, or maybe your GP first.

Even if you have private medical treatment, an insurance company wouldn't pay for it without giving authorisation first.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

You mention that the treatment was Private - Did you sign any documentation at the dentist agreeing to this Private Treatment and the costs?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

You've no chance. The NHS aren't at fault. They weren't even involved in your treatment. You gave the money to a private orthodontist, where do you think the NHS fits into that contract? Or at what point do you think they should

assume responsibility for your private treatment?

The NHS would not pay for unnecessary cosmetic treatment due to body dysmorphia they would've offered you psychiatric treatment and counselling

• Haha 1

scotgal 

• 1 month later...

You say you still have the anxiety despite having had the orthodontic treatment as |I guess they are not as perfect as you would hope. I fail to see how having NHS dental treatment would have solved the problem if the private treatment has not.

NHS orthodontic treatment is only available if the malooclusion fits certain functional, positional and aesthetic criteria and usually only to children under 18.