Virgin Active General advice needed before joining

Spud UK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone :wave:

I'm new here after discovering this website whilst searching the web about gym memberships.

I'm thinking about joining out local Virgin Active in Leeds and could do with some general advice, pitfalls to avoid. I've never used a gym before, I know from reading about them that they can be quite expensive and some members of this forum have been having a few problems.

There are probably cheaper options than using the Virgin Active gym but I really like the idea of finishing work at 6am and just chilling out in the spa - I mean running on the treadmill!

I was thinking of just turning up one morning and asking about membership prices and taking a look around, would this be advisable?

Thanks for taking time to help.

Spud

Hi Spud.

I've used their gym in Birmingham and found it to be the best gym I've ever used. The staff are pretty helpful - You can pay for personal training sessions if you wish - I was never badgered to do so though. Their equipment is state-of-the-art and the overall vibe is better than some of the new cheaper alternatives.

The best thing to do is to have a look around and see if it works for you. With mine you could pay monthly (without a long contract) - at a slightly higher price - useful if you're not ready to committ for 12/18 months!

Seq.

Make sure that you understand thoroughly what the deal is and this means - get it in writing.

We get lots of reports of all sorts of claims made for Gyms by staff who are trying to sell a membership and then later on everyone denies what has been said.

Find out especially about cancellation but make sure you see it in writing.

Frankly, I wouldn't talk to any salesperson without a recorder in my pocket - switched on.

Hi Spud and welcome to CAG

Personal recommendation is always good so Sequenci's post above speaks volumes.

Almost all of the problems we see here are about members having problems when cancelling their gym agreement.

Visit to see the gym has all that you want, in good clean condition.

Decide what you can afford in the short and long terms. If you don't want to be tied in for a year, pay more for the monthly m/ship.

Don't sign up for more than 12 months.

Make sure the agreement allows you to cancel early in cases of moving work and/or home; redundancy; injury; medical grounds.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi guys! Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to drop by the Virgin Active gym on Friday after work, at 06:15 and ask a few questions.

I'm not too worried about contracts as I simply don't need/want one and won't be swayed. A monthly fee will be fine - I might not even take to the gym... but thought I would give it a shot.

One other question. I think there might be higher monthly fees if I wish to use the gym at 'peak' time, but can someone possibly tell me when peak times are when meaning gyms (I really wouldn't know but maybe guess 6am when people workout before setting off to work?)

Thanks again for helping - I'll come back and let you know how I get on. :)

Hello there. As far as I know, peak times would be weekday evenings after 5pm usually. Some gyms might vary!

Yes - weekday evenings, and with some operators, weekday mornings and some of the time at weekends. Chain dependent.