customer rights following fall in hotel in france

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We all know a bathroom shower is slippery but this hotel, a new one in france has no grab handles anywhere near the shower, just a plastic or glass divider and a grey bathroom floor that is so smooth that with a small drop of water makes it worse than ice as you step down from the shower base. I have very server bruising on hip and day later left arm cannot be used

What are my rights? I have photos of bathroom and injured hip

I reported incident to reception and got the email address of manager. I have checked out as I can at least walk

If you are trying to make a complaint in France - then frankly forget it.

The French have broadly equivalent consumer rights to UK citizens but they don't have any effective way of enforcing them. If you go to the local town hall, you will eventually get a form to fill in (for some kind of mediated process) - which will probably be a poor photocopy of a photocopy. The whole thing will take months and of course will meet prevarication and delay by the hotel. If you want to go to court you will need a lawyer because they mainly have a monopolistic system and because there is no small claim track if you lose you will have to bear the costs of the other side even for a very small complaint.

Consumers have very low expectations. No one bothers to enforce their rights and if you try it, you will be a regarded as an Anglo-Saxon oddity and rather troublesome.

If you booked your hotel through a UK agent then you can proceed against the agent if you have all the necessary evidence.

A few years ago some young guy brought a court claim against Orange Telecom in France on some very routine complaint. Orange resisted it - because that is their culture. The customer won and it made all the news because it was so remarkable for anyone to challenge any corporate on an issue of consumer rights. Everyone was talking about it - and because everyone in France hates Orange, the guy was a national hero for a few days. Sadly, no one else followed his example.

May I suggest for the future putting a towel down on the floor before using the shower.

Apologies for the formatting in my posts, I do put paragraphs in but the forum removes them for some reason :(