GYMOPHOBICS, Women only

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEQQjBAwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gymophobics.co.uk%2FGyms&ei=xN-8UYjFOMn2O5fRgdgP&usg=AFQjCNHHnBWg7Z0AEOr4D1D-8a-b7lc00A&sig2=jZuKL4TOIvMEUNZk9t8TFg&bvm=bv.47883778,d.ZWU&cad=rja

Came across an advert for this Gymophobics. I had to double check in disbelief at it is being advertised as women only

May i ask how you can have a women's only gym??

Please do not treat this as sexist in any way

It is a legitimate question in line with equality legislation, and what exemption is being used to justify it

I guess they would rely on the exemption in Schedule 3, paragraph 27 (6):

27(1)A person does not contravene section 29, so far as relating to sex discrimination, by providing a service only to persons of one sex if—E+W+S

(a)any of the conditions in sub-paragraphs (2) to (7) is satisfied, and

(b)the limited provision is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

(6)The condition is that—

(a)the service is provided for, or is likely to be used by, two or more persons at the same time, and

(b)the circumstances are such that a person of one sex might reasonably object to the presence of a person of the opposite sex.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I don't really know the ins and outs of this area of law. But I agree there appears to be some inconsistency.

The exemption only applies if the single-sex service is "a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim". Perhaps the courts concluded that such clubs did not meet this criteria but female-only gyms do. Would need to do further research to verify.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS