Landlords entering without notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just come home from work and quickly realised someone has accessed the property while I was out. This is almost certainly related to some repairs I have recently been chasing the person who entered is likely a contractor used by the Landlord.

About two weeks ago I emailed the agents about the repairs that have essentially been outstanding since I moved in; nothing huge but all in all detrimental to the quality of living at the property. I was contacted via email the next day with a some what ambiguous message saying someone would go round that day (without asking if this was ok) I phoned them and was told someone was nearby that day so would pop in (however it was clear they had arranged this before talking to me) I reluctantly went along with this as I was keen for the repairs to actually take place. I heard nothing from the agents after this and when I got home there wasn't any obviously sign anyone had entered the property but I assumed they had.

Back to the matter in hand ; it seems some ten days after this that the contractor has now entered the property to inspect the requested repairs. I have been given no notice of this at all. I am most upset that my right to live in peace has been breeched but it seems to me there is very little I can actually do about it legally apart from ineffectively moaning and giving the landlord good reason to give me notice to quit in the near future (I'm on a six month AST that ends in September).

Am I right in thinking that I can ineffectively whine but do nothing to stop them doing what they like apart from leaving when the lease runs out? what are my rights with regards to leaving early if I wished to? (Though I doubt I can afford this as haven't started saving to move out when the lease ends yet).

Any help appreciated

I have drafted this email to the agents but not yet sent it; can anyone advise if this is factually correct and should I send it?

"I arrived home from work to shockingly find that someone has entered the property while I was out; I believe that this was an agent of yourselves or the landlord. I was not given any written notice of this activity in direct violation of the tenancy agreement and my statuary rights as a private tenant

I assume that this visit was in relation to the repairs I have recently been requesting (again) however I only agreed (reluctantly) to a unsupervised visit on the day of the 6th of June. I strongly request that any future visits follow the correct procedure and notice in writing (that has been duly acknowledged) with a reasonable notice period be forth coming.

As the property has apparently been inspected, can you update upon when repairs are likely to take place."

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold

Have a word with shelter - they don't just deal with homeless people. They have an excellent advice department for situations similar to yours. I have popped their website link above, I am sure you will find their telephone number on there.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You reported outstanding uindefined repair issues to LA, who responded with someone will visit tomorrow, you reluctanly accept unsupervised inspection.

You only suspect someone has entered property (evidence?)

Was the repair effected?

telling the LL not to enter again without consent may work, contractors can be busy and they may have thought they were doing you a favour, you could always change the locks

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

You reported outstanding uindefined repair issues to LA, who responded with someone will visit tomorrow, you reluctanly accept unsupervised inspection.

You only suspect someone has entered property (evidence?)

Was the repair effected?

My mornings post was moved away from the door making it obvious someone had entered . Items had been moved near the places needing repairs. I have no doubt whats so ever that someone has entered. Someone entering was ment to happen on the 4th of June, I reluctantly agreed (though in fact it was coached in terms that suggested they had already decided to do this). No actual repairs have taken place yet.

telling the LL not to enter again without consent may work, contractors can be busy and they may have thought they were doing you a favour, you could always change the locks

Maybe but they contractor was working on the flat above on the 4th so it should have been easy for them; all they had to do was come in spend 5 minutes looking at the obvious repairs. Changing the locks would mean Im breaking the tenacny agreement as well. I have sent the email of complaint but I dont really feel there is much I can do bar grin and bare it until I can hopefully afford to move out.

changing the locks will not mean you are breaking the tenancy agreement as long as you do not cause damage, and change them back when you leave.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

NEVER let somebody in to your residence without you being there!

Change the locks, why would they need them.

LL or LA can only enter to do repairs or inspection with due notice and your agreement. ( housing act 1977 ).