Another one got me stumped :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

I have a friends laptop, that just won't play ball. Basically, Windows appears to start normally, but after the starting Windows logo appears, the screen just goes blank (and stays blank). I have managed to start it in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with networking. All seem fine. I can go on internet, and surf, but only in Safe Mode. I have tried System Restore. The only restore point was day of purchase 'Crytical Update', but an attempt to do that failed. I got this message :-

System Restore failed to extrace the file (C:\sExtend\sRmMetadata\sTxf) from the restore point. error code 0x80070005 (this code seems to be something to do with Windows Activation).

I tried 'last known good configuration' and got the message 'Windows loaded normally'. I just can't understand why the screen goes black in normal mode.

I have also done chkdsk c: /f /v /r (with cmnd prompt) but that hasn't helped.

Must be something simple, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks for help in advance.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked 'Installed Programs', and it appears that the only programs on the laptop are the ones I have just installed in Safe Mode. Mouse Pad doesn't work so have to use a mouse.

Tried windows repair? Sounds like on of the system files has gone a little funky. It's not your MBR or you wouldnt even get windows to boot.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Windows Update Error Code “0x80070005” is an “Access Denied” error code; this error can happen if you don’t have sufficient permissions when logged in as a particular user. This can also happen if permissions have been changed on specific files, folders or even registry keys. It’s possible that there may be Malware on your computer that can be causing the issue.

I have managed to complete a full sacn with Malware Bytes that found no problems or infected files. I can't do one with Avast (which I have just installed in Safe Mode), as you can't start it in Safe Mode. I can also start the Command Prompt as Administrator in Safe Mode. Can't even get to the 'Logon' screen in normal mode because after the 'starting windows' logo goes of the screen, the screen is just pitch black. It looks like the CPU light is still flashing intermittently, that is what confuses me more. You can see the screen in Safe Mode and Repair Mode, but not in Normal Mode.

Boot into safe mode and create a new user ( not admin) and set that user to be the default login. See if that bypasses the normal admin login check. You could also use control userpasswords2 to force windows to auto login and skip the verification check too.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Created just a standard user account and restarted. Same thing. The weird thing is that I can hear the usual Windows wolcome sounds in the background, and there can't be a screen fault because I can see everything in safe mode. I can also see the starting windows logo at the beginning of boot. It seems that it is loading windows, but for some reason, the screen is completely black (as if the computer is turned off) just after the startin windows logo appears on normal startup.

Thats either a boot issue ( need to repair system file) or a GPU driver issue. I'm still leaning towards the former.

gotta get in windows to do that!

Saying that. Head into safe mode again, but DISABLE networking. Disable system restore completely then reboot. If you have a virus or malware, that is the number one place it will hide on boot. You can also run malwarebytes or other software through safemode, or even create a system recovery CD/USB.

• Confused 1

Thats either a boot issue ( need to repair system file) or a GPU driver issue. I'm still leaning towards the former.

My money is on a driver or boot issue also. Infact first thing I thought was Graphics Driver.

Sometimes uninstalling the GPU Driver in Safe Mode can force the OS to use the Basic Display Adapter, if it boots then download the latest GPU driver from the NVidia or ATi Website and install. I'd download the full drivers and not the basic set too, the basic ones don't give you the full potential of the GPU. If it's an onboard GPU then the PC Manufacturers website is a good place to find it.

In Device Manager uninstall the Display Adapters and tick the box uninstall the driver as well. See if the machine boots then. I'd give it about 5 minutes too.

Worth a shot do you think?

This is how I spend most of my life :ranger:

general pc tip - re system restore - when 7 installed eg even though system restore is on, sometimes the slider allowing room for it has not been moved to allow for restore points and so needs to be done manually. thats why sometimes when trying to do a restore/repair re restore following a crash etc, it won't work as there are no restore points. :)

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

..... Infact first thing I thought was Graphics Driver.

Worth a shot do you think?

could be :)http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/why-is-my-screen-black-when-i-start-windows-7

as nuclear says if re this, if not online just use the default graphics drivers.

is the lappy online? if not, maybe its trying to activate? in safe mode, disable all ms auto updates to manual?

Edited by Ford

IMO

Thanks for all your help guys. I managed to roll back the graphics driver in safe mode and Hey Presto, it worked :)

I had to activate Windows, and although it is 2 years old, it's like a brand new laptop. There are lots and lots of Windows updates which was inevitable, and I am doing them now (touch wood). I can't use a screen saver because the graphics driver needs updating. I hope Windows Update will do that for me and everything will be ok. I will keep you all informed.

Thanks a million everyone.

And to think, this has been into a shop for repairs and my friend was told it was either unrepairable, or it would cost him a fortune. He also told him that a scre inside had come loose and had damaged something?????

Need also now to get Pointing Device working, but Windows Updates may do that also.

:)

just goes to show what some of these so called repairers could be up to! always check online, and cag :) before going to a shop repairer.

yes, all should work ok once the updates have gone through. saying that, is sometimes best to use manufacturer drivers than ms ones, and to edit ms updates to critical/important updates only.

and, ensure system restore slider has been set :)

Edited by Ford

IMO

thats a good eg. colleagues lappy kept ceasing re internet access and solution was to roll back the network driver. was a recurring theme. finally found that the reason was cause ms autoupdates kept installing their own (incompatible) network driver. solution = ensure manufacturers latest driver installed, edit ms auto updates to important only. no probs since!

IMO

Glad it's sorted! There are some real cowboys out there. It's a real shame and it angers me because it gives us honest, hard working and decent Engineers a really bad name sometimes.

If I had a customer who was unhappy with the work I had done, I would do everything in my power to put the problems right. Even if I were to lose out on labour costs, I'd rather that than get a bad word of mouth going around. I live in a fairly large sized town but gossip spreads really quickly here :sad:

With regards to the mouse pad, try this link: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Synaptics make nearly all the trackpads in the laptops I've worked on over the years. These drivers are often more up to date than the PC/Laptop Manufacturer, a similar story to Intel Chipset Drivers and NVidia/ATi Graphics Drivers. Personally I would install the Touchpad Drivers from the above link. If the trackpad fails to work still then there may be something in the loose screw story, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt, considering that the Caggers here have diagnosed and resolved the problem without being infront of the machine! :madgrin:

Nuke

This is how I spend most of my life :ranger:

I was thinking gpu drivers originally but recently had experience with a similar issue being a system file error. Its hard to know for sure without the comp in front of you but glad its sorted.

msconfig shows that the only program on startup is the anti virus I installed earlier. How can I get an update of everything else that's needed like Adobe products etc?

For updates, you would need to run the program and select check for updates.