Windows Media Player Problems.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mums laptop is playing up. Windows Media Player keeps starting and giving a message ' Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downloading the file' This is a long with the WMP Window. She doesn't know how she has managed to do it. I have tried opening Malware Bytes to do a scan, but it seems to be opening with WMP because the same pop up keeps comong up. I tries msconfig to stop it from starting up, but the same message keeps appearing with the Media Player. It's as if it is programmed to start up with everything I try to do. I can't even install a program with a flash drive because when I click on 'setup' WMP starts again with the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

ps. Her OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Use VLC

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I put VLC on a while ago. I can't open any programs because they are all opening with WMP, and I keep getting the annoying message.

Right click the video file, click open with > choose default program

Then choose vlc and make sure the bottom option is checked. Every file of that type will run with vlc now.

I hate wmp with a passion. Its too bulky, buggy and just cant do what vlc does.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

There is no video file. It's just when I click on anything, the media player window keeps coming up instead of the program that I am trying to start. Even when I open a web browser up, it does the same. It's as if WMP is the default for every program, not just video files. I can't right click on anything on the desktop. I think I need to uninstall it, but it will be very tricky because it is built in to Windows 7, so doesn't appear on the uninstall programmes. I want to install Revo Uninstaller Pro to get rid of it, but when I double click on the setup, This Windows Media PLayer comes up again with the same warning.

Silly question but have you tried a restore to a point before the problem happened.Sounds like all files have been associated with WMP

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Actually it sounds like one of the WMP dll's have hooked onto something. This usually happens when explorer or a main system file starts acting up. Fletch is right though. Backup your files and try a system restore.

I have tried System Restore, but it keeps saying 'System Restore could not start' :(

I have just noticed also that most of the desktop icons have changed to Windows Media Player ones. It won't let me change them.

SOunds like you may have a virus. back up the files and do a full reformat and reinstall. Make sure you completely wipe the hard drive first before reinstalling.

If you dont want to go that far, download malwarebytes and do a full deep scan ( Make sure to disable system restore first),

I am trying to start Malware Bytes, but it is now a WMP file, so won't start.

Sounds like you need to reformat and reinstall. That might be the best option as you have a completely clean slate to work with.

Even all my programs on my flash drive have changed to Windows Media type Files as soon as I plug it in.

Edited by SOD'EM

Just remember, most virii hide within system restore, so even when you think you have got rid of it, it comes right back. Thats why you need to disable system restore fully before performing any scans.

Even the installed anti virus is now associated with WMP so I can't start it to do a sacn. I have Googled this problem, but there are too many complicated suggestions. The ones I have tried do not work.

Put in your windows DVD, and click the option to delete everything on your hard disk. Then reinstall windows. Do NOT simply install over the top. You need a full destructive format first.

I think I have fixed it. I followed the instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505 under the (Let me fix it myself') part.

Although the icons have not changed back to normal, it opens all programs correctly. Just doing a full scan with Malware Bytes now.

Thanks for all your help.

It is an ASUS laptop. I have only been doing a scan with Malware Bytes for a minute, and it's already found 1 infected object.

If you have issues with your registry, you need to make sure you scan your computer with multiple scanners and always use deep scans with system restore OFF.