JSA work experience

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a little help and advice if possible as I'm a little confused about my situation.

I've been on JSA for a year now. Two weeks ago I had a phone call from my personal advisor at the job centre informing me about a work experience position in a florist and I told them I'd be up for it.

So I was contacted by the florist a few days later and I went in to see her and started a few days later, which I must add I'm really enjoying working there :)

Okay here is the thing though, I've been looking up online about the work programme and well they say work experience is only if you are under 24 or 25 and I am 29, so I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing.

Also the job centre told me the position was for 2weeks with a possible job at the end, when my boss asked they told her that I must work for at least 8weeks.

I feel a little confused because I thought I may have a job in 2weeks, and I can understand my boss wanting to make the most of having me for free for 8weeks instead of two weeks, as the business has just opened.

I'm worried I'll be used and thrown out once the 8weeks are over as I really enjoy working there and me and her are even planning drinks after work as we get on so well.

Also I was wondering if there was some way in which she'd be able to get paid for taking me on permanently and train me through the job centre or something?

If you have read all of this thank you :)

I hope someone can help me.

Also, I must add I don't see an advisor at the job centre anymore and have just been handed over to a work programme however I have tried contacting them several times and never had someone get back to me, so that is why I am unclear on my situation.

Maybe it was Work Programme, not Work experience. Anyway if you have a paid job lined up, I don't see why you have problems quitting a fake job for a proper one.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Work Experience is for anyone claiming JSA not just for the under 25's.

The placement can be for a period between 2 and 8 weeks but there is no guarantee of a job at the end of the placement.

Some claimants are offered a contract of employment at the end of a placement but that is usually with the bigger mainstream companies who are more likely to have vacancies anyway.

You could be confusing work experience with a work trial which is an opportunity for both the employer and potential employee to determine if the job would be suitable.

Work Experience and work trials are two separate schemes.

Thanks for your reply. I phoned the company yesterday that sees to my work programme and they said it was work experience.

The thing is when the job centre told me about it and they said there may be a job at the end of it, as did the girl I'm working for.

What I really wanted to know is can an employer say 'there may be a job at the end of work experience' if there is no intention of there being any? Is that allowed?

What I really wanted to know is can an employer say 'there may be a job at the end of work experience' if there is no intention of there being any? Is that allowed?

In an ideal world it shouldn't be, the clue here is 'may be a job at the end', then again there may not. If an employer wants to exploit someone on work experience there is not much to be done about it as they are hardly likely to admit they were just using the person.

Personally I would not have expectations to get taken on, a dose of pessimism often avoids disappointment.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.