international call barring

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

It has come as a major surprise to me that O2 are being incredibly unhelpful in applying either a credit limit to my phone (in case of unauthorized use if stolen), or applying an international call barr ( the most likely use if stolen).

Am i being unnecessarily harsh/stupid in requesting same or are they simply looking to profiteer in the face of possible misfortune?

Has any body managed to get this done with O2? And/or found an inventive work around?

Thanks

Jaba

Hi

Yes mobile with O2.

All i have tried thus far is trying to persuade the call centre guys that this is somethings the network is well able to do IF they have the intention of doing so?....... but they are not interested.

I am also aware of a hack using some software, but that requires a jailbreak which i dont want to do at this stage.

There's not a lot of point in arguing with the CC staff that O2's company policy is wrong - they don't have the power to change that policy.

Saying that, I seem to recall from my own (mercifully brief) days as an O2 CSA in Glasgow that international barring was actually possible, although a credit limit was not.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If O2 no longer offers international barring, there probably is a workaround somewhere out there, though I suspect that any such workaround could be defeated by a determined thief. There are also anti-theft apps that will lock out the phone, delete stored data and so on and which can be accessed online.

You are not liable for any charges incurred after you report the theft to O2.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If O2 no longer offers international barring, there probably is a workaround somewhere out there, though I suspect that any such workaround could be defeated by a determined thief. There are also anti-theft apps that will lock out the phone, delete stored data and so on and which can be accessed online.

You are not liable for any charges incurred after you report the theft to O2.

Although it is true that you are only liable for calls until the theft is recorded:

1 you do not have your mobile on you, and probably don't have a number for o2 on you.

2 a thief will take a phone with a view to instantly calling international premium rate number that they get some financial benefit to.

I would personally, just to put your mind at rest, Write to o2 and ask if they can confirm what measures they can put in place to protect you.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I would personally, just to put your mind at rest, Write to o2 and ask if they can confirm what measures they can put in place to protect you.

An interesting idea and one i might just do to see what liability they may think they have.

. I still struggle to understand why so few if any people are complaining about this huge hole in consumer protection !

Even if you disable & wipe your phone remotely a thief could put the sim into a different phone to use it ...

I am equally horrified by the mobile companies policies re credit limit etc. Even with insurance, you have to pay that instead - heads they win unless your insurance provider is a different company & they still cover unauthorised use after theft

I can't imagine that there are many customers who are completely happy with their lack of safeguards even against inadvertent own overuse

Even if you disable & wipe your phone remotely a thief could put the sim into a different phone to use it ...

I am equally horrified by the mobile companies policies re credit limit etc. Even with insurance, you have to pay that instead - heads they win unless your insurance provider is a different company & they still cover unauthorised use after theft

I can't imagine that there are many customers who are completely happy with their lack of safeguards even against inadvertent own overuse

Hint for all, you can pin protect your SIM

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Your phone will have an option to add a pin. All phones do.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Yep. Usually 2 options. 1 is enable pin for the phone. Other is for the sim. On mine, both are enabled, so i need to enter my pin twice each time it auto locks itself, or i switch it on/off. Both Pins are different. On some smartphones, you can even make the pin a gesture so its pretty much impossible for anyone to crack.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

http://bswan.org/revenue_share_fraud.asp#.UaKSpNK-pcZ

November 2012

The basic GSMA roaming agreement for example, which is bilaterally agreed between two operators says that the originating operator must pay for all calls originating from his network — whether it is fraud or not.

IRSF (International Revenue Share Fraud) is a huge problem that the industry finds difficult to manage. Unless we start getting some localized legislation in countries to stop the money flow, it will continue to be difficult to manage. Stop the money and you stop the problem.

In my view, the operator shouldn’t be paying money when they know that at the end of the payment chain, a percentage of this is going to get into the hands of fraudsters. In my view, this money is the proceeds of crime and payment could constitute money laundering.

from the previous head of Fraud Management at the Vodafone Group who left the post a few months ago.

the above article is a must read for anybody who wants to understand how the industry is being allowed to defraud the customers.

and this

http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/finance/work-cost-tariffs/events/tariff-seminars/Geneva-OriginID/pdf/Session5_Maxwell_GSMA_v3.pdf

the only protection the customer has would be to dispute the bill and wait for the Network to take you to court. I have not seen a single case where they risked doing this.

Edited by goodwill

100% agree. As always in the mobile industry all profit is good, but any responsibilities are shirked.

IMO Jabamusic is trying a pre-emptive strike here. It would be good to get the view of the networks so let us know how they reply Jabamusic please.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar