Unable to pay at petrol station

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I did wonder, Squaddie, about the cashier being able to detain someone. It really could get silly, as in edjama's story above. But I suppose most people would just take the cashier's word that "you can't leave until you pay." How would they stop you if you stated that you would return later and then just walked out and drove off? Phoning the police is an option, but are our boys in blue not busy enough?

I think we've exhausted this now.

in summary:

There are laws (both civil and criminal) to cover these matters

what happens in life isn't always the lawful way.

there are bad people (who deliberately intend not to pay)

there are people who get caught out (OP, by caught out I mean make a mistake not caught trying be bad)

And there are nice people ( people who pay peoples fuel bills to help them)

as a nice ending I once had some one unable to pay a fiver, before we even got to debating how to resolve the matter the next customer stepped in to pay for him. He offered to give them fiver back if they took his number and they refused saying, " I'd much prefer you to remember what I've done for you, and do the same for some one else if you ever are in the opposite situation. If we all do that no one should go stuck"

If only we all did eh?....

• Confused 1

A very interesting post indeed.

Many years ago i had to travel to Yorkshire in my Volvo 240, and had burnt nearly a full tank of petrol when i arrived. Business completed, i had to fill up for my return trip to Scotland. Went into local garage and filled up to brim, then went to pay young lad at till. I had plenty of cash with me BUT IT WAS ALL SCOTTISH notes. Lad refused to accept and went to seek advice. When he returned he was adamant that i paid in English notes.

After a heated exchange i told him he had two options viz-- He either accepted my Scottish notes at full value or HE GOT a length of hose and syphoned the petrol out of my tank.

I was quickly on my way home!!!!!!!!!

I had the same with a customer when I worked at a garage in the 1980s, my boss told me to have

something from him for security, so he handed his leather jacket over. This was in the spring and come September we still had the jacket and not the £5 owed, boss said to throw the jacket out, which I didn't and when the weather turned cold in October he came back for it.

Its a dead language and should stay dead

Dum schola Latina docetur miserabile fere sola filios experientia (Barbari vero descenderunt ad nos collem sagittandi - indigestamque amet), solum illa quae non intelligunt Latino credere debet de sua miseria. Considerans circa scientias non sine summa linguae usu. Et non inmemor Anglorum iuris (OK, fortasse non tam bonum exemplum;))

Dum schola Latina docetur miserabile fere sola filios experientia (Barbari vero descenderunt ad nos collem sagittandi - indigestamque amet), solum illa quae non intelligunt Latino credere debet de sua miseria. Considerans circa scientias non sine summa linguae usu. Et non inmemor Anglorum iuris (OK, fortasse non tam bonum exemplum;))

I agree, not a good explanation or example

I had the same problem at my local Tesco filling station. Wasn't a big issue. Filled in a form which recorded my club card details. I returned later in the day and paid the amount. Chap at the station said they get 2 or 3 a day. If it's not paid back, then they refer it to a debt collection company.

Frederickson - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Lost - Claiming back from post office

Connaught Collections - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Lowell - CCA sent 11/4/07 - No agreement - returned to client

Moorcroft - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Red Castle - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Copy returned but no T&C's

Robinson Way - CCA Sent 16/5/07