style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi could someone please help?

I have had a offer letter for my PPI paid on my house of fraser store card :)

but they are offering me refund of premiums paid plus 8% simple interest per ann

here are details

start date 01/12/95

End date 13/03/2013

perm piad £188.88

simple int £103.35

total due £292.23

now all its great getting a refund but not sure if I am thinking right should I work it out as you would a credit card with the cost of monthly interest rate and so on ?

Any advice would be great Thanks

Hi Thanks for the reply, no I have a few but not a lot I have just mailed Genworth to ask for a breakdown with dates and premiums paid and questioned the interest thing so will see what they say but I have a rough idea on what I have paid which is about right to what they have said its just the interest thing that puzzeled me because I would have had to pay interest every month on my card.

Thanks again :)

Ye you are right, you should get the contractual interest back.

In summary you should get...

1 -> The premiums charged.

2 -> Any contractual interest charged as a result of the premiums.

3 -> The account should be reconstructed with the above removed and if in any month the reconstructed account shows a credit balance you should get 8% simple interest on that credit balance for that month

here is my reply from Genworth

Your redress was calculated as follows:

Based on the Premium paid by you of £188.88, policy start date of 01/12/1995, policy end date of 15/03/2013, the monthly premium has been calculated as £0.91. 8% Simple interest is then applied to each individual monthly premium up to the date of the Redress Payment. 20% of the Interest (20% of the 8% Simple Interest) is withheld as the HMRC requires that this be paid directly to them”

the thing is I haven't used the account since about 2001 so how can they say end date 15/03/2013 and also when I contacted Santander over this matter they said they didnt have any details as the account has been closed for so long !!!

Any Help thanks

What they mean is that they have stopped the policy form 15th March and calculated the 8% interest on the premiums paid up that date.

As far as HMRC goes, it is not a "requirement" as such but some institutions do take 20% basic rate tax off at source so it means that any tax due as a result of that interest has been paid. You will need to declare that n your next tax return so that your tax declarations of income and tax paid are correct.

Many thanks for your reply.

Does how they have paid the interest sound about right to you ? or should I say something about not using the account since 2001 or want it make any difference ? also I am a stay at home mum who doesn't work will I still have to pay tax ?

Many thanks

As it is Genworth who are offering the refund they will not account for any interest you have paid on the card as a result of the PPI.

However, they are giving you a straight 8% on all of the premiums paid running from the date of the premium to 15th March. That is different to the 8% which would be offered if it were done as in post #4 above since you would have only got 8% interest for the months when the account was in credit.

Given the age of the account, I would suggest that the way they have done this is not a bad result and if it were me I would take it.

As regards the tax, you will need to contact HMRC since if you are due a refund of this tax then they will be the one to action that.