Three Mobile / Lowell / Dryden court claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Defence is now in - got a letter from Dryden's (later on in same day as it happens).

Their letter's the 'we'll get copies of the documentation you asked for and allow further time to respond' I was expecting.

So, what would happen now, especially now that the defence is already in?

It is too late now to ask the court for an extension. Dryden's will be notified and they have 28 days in which to say if they wish to proceed or not. If they do, an Allocation Questionnaire will be sent out to you, this is for case management and allocation to your local court.

Lets see if Dryden's provide anything within the next 28 days - you can then consider your next moves and use the AQ to ask for directions.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of an update, and a bit of a bewildering one at that.

In a nutshell, got a letter from Dryden's today (dated yesterday) to say that the CCA being referred to in the PoCs were a mistake, but that they're still going to obtain the documents I've requested (why, if they've just said it has no bearing on the case?).

However, there's nothing there about whether they're pressing on with court or not - no new PoCs have been attached, and nothing's been said whether they're going to issue new PoCs, or what act of legislation they're going to be arguing instead (if any).

Any thoughts?

They are not going to be able to produce anything as mobile phone contracts are service contracts and not made under the Act.. so it is a rather disingenuous statement from them, isn't it ?

I would just wait until you hear from the court as to what happens next. Did you ever send the SAR to the original creditor ? What is the amount being claimed - ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They are not going to be able to produce anything as mobile phone contracts are service contracts and not made under the Act.. so it is a rather disingenuous statement from them, isn't it ?

Yep - that's what I thought.

I would just wait until you hear from the court as to what happens next. Did you ever send the SAR to the original creditor ? What is the amount being claimed - ?

Only thing I've heard from the court so far is a receipt confirmation for my defence.

SAR did go to the OC, who are being more than a little 'awkward' about it.

Amount being claimed is under £800. Hope you don't mind, but I'd sooner not give out the exact figure - I'm well aware that the site has 'guests'.

I would suspect it will be seeking your agreement to amend in the near future. Wait on the postie for the mo.

Nothing to do at my end in the meantime, then?

When you say my agreement to amend, I take it you mean in respect to their PoCs? If so, then I daresay that'll be a 'no' from me.

Nothing to do at my end in the meantime, then?

When you say my agreement to amend, I take it you mean in respect to their PoCs? If so, then I daresay that'll be a 'no' from me.

I'd wait on it to ask, at the moment it acknowledges it doesn't have a cause as particularised.... But it can request consent to amend or apply or discontinue/file again. The first gives you the opportunity to negotiate, the second will probably be granted with costs in the case deferred and the latter would enable you to dig your heels in and go after it for costs.

Wait for it to show its hand for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing further heard as yet either from the court or Drydens, and it's now been well over 28 days since the defence went in.

Anything to be done now, and can I approach the court and recommend that the matter is dropped?

I'm pretty much at the same stage. I spoke to the bulk centre yesterday and Its 28+5=33 days. Mine runs out tonight at midnight. Once the claim is stayed I think next step is to file an order for the case to be struck out. It needs to be done before the claimant files an order for the stay to be lifted. Once struck out i don't think claim can be brought again.

Nothing further heard as yet either from the court or Drydens, and it's now been well over 28 days since the defence went in.

Anything to be done now, and can I approach the court and recommend that the matter is dropped?

Hi tb

Responding to your pm.

Personally, I'd do nothing as things stand. The court won't strike out the case as it would require an application from you and a hearing to establish whether the other side had cause to continue.

It's not been allocated to track yet so you run the risk of a cross application to amend with costs in the case. Should it be granted relief and you go on to lose the case you could be stuffed for something in the region of a grand in hearing costs (it's how they make a living).

I'd sit tight and wait for now

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I've now received a 'Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track' letter from the court, with an N180 Directions Questionnaire form attached to it.

Bearing in mind that the rather ambiguous letter I got from Drydens (described earlier in the thread) is the last correspondence I got from them.

That's the letter I got from Drydens shortly after my defence went in - where it mentions that they're dropping the CCA aspect of their claim, but haven't said what their new 'argument' is going to be (if any).

Consequently, if they're proceeding with this, then I've no idea what I'm supposed to be defending against - considering that they themselves have ruled out the act of legislation they originally cited on their Particulars of Claim.

Anyway, the Proposed Allocation letter states the following, and was wondering what to do next :-

"1. This is now a defended claim. The defendant (me) has filed a defence, (the 'a copy of which is enclosed' has been pen-lined out).

2. It appears that this case is suitable for allocation to the small claims track. If you believe that this track is not appropriate for the claim, you must complete box C1 on the Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and explain why.

3. You must by 19 June 2013 complete the Small Claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and file it with the court office (Northamption address) and service copies on all other parties."

Once again, thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Hi responding to your reported post.

The above simply signifies the claim is proceeding and now you must complete the DQ by the said date.You can expand on their u turn with regards the P.o.C within your WS after Allocation.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Couple of ambiguities about the form in question - it asks if I agree to the case being referred to Small Claims Mediation service, and whether I've included a fee with the form.

Firstly, I'm of the opinion that there's nothing to mediate about (not sure if anyone else feels if it's advisable I do mediate), and secondly, how much would any fee have to be?

Just looking for a bit of clarity for the moment.

I wouldl still embrace the mediation process irrespective as this shows willing to the court that you are open to an amicable resolution...which is encouraged by the Courts.With regards to the DQ fee only the Claimant pays that.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

• 2 months later...

Weird development.

I did fill the Mediation form in, sent it to the relevant parties involved, and I never heard anything back from it (I still have a copy of the form).

Now, I've received a letter which states the following :-

"This claim has been transferred to the below CC for allocation (my local court).

On receipt, the file will be referred to a procedural judge who will allocate the claim to track and give case management directions.

Details of the judge's directions will be sent to you in a notice of allocation.

If you would like any further information, you can contact the local court directly, but please await the judge's directions.".

Just wanting to get an idea as to what happens now.

I should add that literally nothing has been received by me between the small claims mediation form and that letter as above (weeks apart).

Also, nothing from Drydens/Lowells after their acknowledgement that the CCA is non-applicable to mobile contracts, but that they're going to try and obtain the information I asked for anyway.

it just means because you are defending the claim

you are entitled to have the case transferred to your local court.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it just means because you are defending the claim

you are entitled to have the case transferred to your local court.

dx

Bit annoying that this has happened - especially in light of DF's admission that they fumbled the PoCs.

They've never sent re-issued ones or told me on what basis they intend to continue the claim - they already know they can't use the CCA1974 they stated on their original PoCs (which I knew anyway).

In short, no-one from DF or the court has actually told me what their case is, or what it is I'm supposed to be defending myself against.

If they ask to amend the PoC now that AQs have been completed, any decent judge will show them the door. You can ONLY answer the claim put to you.

What directions did you request in your AQ?

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Nothing preventing you from filing the other sides admission with the court, it may assist the judge in directing the case.

Did its correspondence (regarding CCA) establish an alternative cause or does it just imply that it won't be relying on its original pleading.

Nothing preventing you from filing the other sides admission with the court, it may assist the judge in directing the case.

Did its correspondence (regarding CCA) establish an alternative cause or does it just imply that it won't be relying on its original pleading.

Starting to look like a case for strike out as showing no cause of action (as admitted by claimant), rather than simply presenting the info to the court (though this would incur an application fee).

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

No. Just what was said before - not only have they never stated an alternative cause, they've never even said they'd be taking one at all.

That letter I'd mentioned earlier in the thread (that CCA correspondence) is literally the last piece of direct correspondence I had from them.

Starting to look like a case for strike out as showing no cause of action (as admitted by claimant), rather than simply presenting the info to the court (though this would incur an application fee).

Oh, that possibility hasn't been lost on me.

Sorry, thunderballs, my error – AQs have NOT been completed, just N180s DQs, for referral to mediation (which don’t require you to request anything).

You should have heard from the court or a mediator regarding this – my guess is that the claimant has put the kybosh on this.

In the meantime, and until you receive an AQ or other court direction, keep contacting your local court to see if the claimant has made any application to amend the PoCs. Wouldn’t put it past them to try and cut you out of the loop.

Probably best, and certainly cheaper, not to apply for strike out or proper directions until you get to the AQ stage. Then you can tie them in knots.

No. Just what was said before - not only have they never stated an alternative cause, they've never even said they'd be taking one at all.

That letter I'd mentioned earlier in the thread (that CCA correspondence) is literally the last piece of direct correspondence I had from them.

The only issue I can see is that the court may take a dislike to not being advised of a substantial change in position

Assume this proceeded to trial with neither party seeking relief, in the happy event you won what decision would the court make regarding costs? Two wrongs don't make a right for either party.

If it were me I'd want its admission poked under the judges nose with a short w/s stating the claimant has failed to identify cause contrary to CPR 16.4 and failed to seek relief to amend its statement of case contrary to CPR17.1

The only issue I can see is that the court may take a dislike to not being advised of a substantial change in position

Assume this proceeded to trial with neither party seeking relief, in the happy event you won what decision would the court make regarding costs? Two wrongs don't make a right for either party.

If it were me I'd want its admission poked under the judges nose with a short w/s stating the claimant has failed to identify cause contrary to CPR 16.4 and failed to seek relief to amend its statement of case contrary to CPR17.1

:thumb: