Tax credit overpayment - worrying

clayton2009
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, on advice from my accountant I made a successful claim for tax credits in 2005/6 (self employed)

In 2006/7 I updated the claim to inform the Inland Revenue that my earnings were higher, To which I received a reply to say that no credits would be paid.

Almost a year later I received notification of an over payment, to which I raised a dispute on the grounds that the income level difference was less than 10, 000 (advice again from my accountant), the dispute was unsuccessful and I began a repayment plan.

I stopped this and to be honest became lax with responding to the requests for repayment. I have refused to acknowledge the debit believing the case to be in error, I strongly believe that I was not overpaid.

More recently, after a long period of nothing happening, I received a hand delivered letter, which did not look authentic. It implies that if I do not repay the full amount, my goods and assets will be levied against the debit, which is very worrying.

I contacted the Inland Revenue about this, I found that my form filling from the 2006/7 period was incorrect and I am able to escalate the dispute again with this information. As to the letter, the clerk advised me that the letter was genuine and that rather than seize goods, the officer who delivered the letter would seek an amicable resolution to the debit, i.e. payment plan.

When I phoned to discuss this, the officer did not seem to be interested, They have asked me to meet them in person at a very public location which is closer to where I currently reside. I went to meet them this morning as agreed, but no one showed.

I am concerned about the nature of the officer's attitude and am worried about the meeting.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I live in northern Ireland and am not aware of Bailiff action being permissible ?

I am also agreeing to repay the amount whilst starting a new dispute.

the overpayment is 3117. I have offered 129 per month which a review to increase in 12 months.

all advice would be welcome on this.

Many thanks in advance.

clayton

clayton

Northern Ireland

Ulster Bank reclaim for 6 years...total refund of £5482

Hi Clayton,

When I phoned to discuss this, the officer did not seem to be interested, They have asked me to meet them in person at a very public location which is closer to where I currently reside. I went to meet them this morning as agreed, but no one showed.

Without naming place names, can you say what sort of place they asked to meet you.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't see visit you at your home, or at their office. This sounds strange.

Have figures for 2006/07 now been revised and agreed, or has this not happened yet. Can you say what was wrong with the form filling previously.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 4 weeks later...

hi there, sorry about the late response, I have no idea as to why I couldn't have met the agent in an office,

they asked to come to my house, which I did not want, they asked me to meet them at a recycling plant!

I met the individual, very humiliating, as they maintained that it was ridiculous that I was in this position, they wanted a debit card payment, which I would not agree to, I asked for a repayment option, which they indicated wouldn't be acceptable, but I insisted that they call the Inland revenue, which they did.

Not surprisingly the agent on the phone was very pleasant and had no issue with setting up the plan.

as to the old forms, I don't know how to resolve it, I think what happened was that on the first form I put down my income after expenditure, whereas on the second I put down my turnover, which would have definitely read as overpayment.

clayton

Northern Ireland

Ulster Bank reclaim for 6 years...total refund of £5482

Hi Clayton,

So you DID meet the "agent" at a later date.

Did they identify themselves properly and confirm what company they were working for.

If there are unresolved issues about the figures submitted for past years, I think you should contact the Inland Revenue and ask to meet and discuss the issue.

I also think the actions of the "agent" are odd and should be complained about to the IR. Meeting at a Recycling Plant sounds very strange indeed !

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)