Dell Laptop Brought From Argos - Faulty.

DebzJS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought a Dell laptop from Argos 17 months ago. 8 months later it had a motherboard failure & Dell replaced it. Today the motherboard has again failed. I have spoken to Dell support and they advise that it is going to be 180 for repair as the laptop is over 12 months old.

I understand that the warranty covers me for 12 months, however seeing as the original fault occured when the laptop was 8 months old I think that this shows the laptop is not fit for purpose. It is my understanding that under the sales of goods act, items sold by retailers should last for a suitable amount of time. I feel that a 400 laptop should last more than 17 months, especially without a fault occuring after 8 months.

Dell are also advising that the replacement motherboard was a refurbished motherboard and therefore would only be expected to last for 3 months. I was not told this at the time and it is not something that I would have accepted.

Is there anything you can advise?

Forget Dell, your contract is with Argos and you need to go through them.

You need to contact Argos and advise them that the laptop has failed and that you would like them to repair/replace it under the Sales of Goods Act. You may need to get an independent Engineer's report to state that the failure has been caused by a manufacturing fault, which will initially be at your own expense (usually around £60-70) but provided it is a manufacturing fault then Argos must refund this to you.

The fact that the original motherboard was replaced with a refurbished one is completely irrelevant and it doesn't matter how long Dell think it should last. A laptop should have a reasonable lifespan of 4-5 years and the SOGA will treat it just as one single item, not a bunch of components.

Also, how did you pay for the laptop? If by credit card then your credit card provider will be jointly liable I believe.