Nationwide: hardship claim for charges - ** SUCCESS **

Ace of Spades
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have written a very long letter to Nationwide today asking for charges to be refunded. We suffered terribly 4 years ago after OH was made redundant twice in 6 months and I lost my job and was out of work for 5 months. Since then we have both been in and out of work, we ended up with huge rent and CT arrears, and 4 years later we are still struggling to make ends meet. OH is self employed so income is inconsistent and I now only work part time, having had lots of time off work due to chronic back pain.

When we contacted NW at the time they were not very helpful at all. We incurred charges on charges on charges and it seemed like our overdraft increased exponentially...

Our account was passed to a DCA not long after and we have only managed token payments in all this time. I am hoping that they will refund the charges as this would clear the majority of the overdraft, and allow us to have a chance at paying the rest off in our lifetime! However I will not hold my breath for any success. It will be a great bonus if we get anything.

I will keep this updated with any progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter from Nationwide today. They said my case did not meet hardship criteria and that the account was our responsibility. However as a gesture of goodwill they will cancel the charges that occurred after we stopped using the account in 2009, so will refund £630 to the outstanding balance! :lol::whoo::cheer2:

This is more than half of all charges applied to the account, I guess I could push for more but to be honest I am happy to have got something back at all.

This is my first success against a bank and all I did was write a (seven page) letter!

• 2 weeks later...