Mobile phone battery issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I seem to have a really dodgy internet connection and am constantly being kicked off for no reason. I am seriously considering getting mobile broadband. It would also mean being able to use the internet when I travel on the train.

However, because neither of the above happen all the time, I don't want to be tied into a long contract. I've seen that a few companies do rolling 30 day contracts - this would suit me fine.

But who do I go with? I have Vodafone as my mobile phone provider and we have Virgin Media as home phone, broadband and TV provider.

How many pages / hours is 500MB?

Righty, 1st google DLMeter and see how much data you're currently using and how long it lasts. Then we can see how much you'd need for a month.

Now, all the mobile broadband packages are about the same as far as costs are concerned (slight differences but nothing that major), so how I'd start is by buying an unlocked dongle (from Ebay is probably your best bet), and getting a SIM from each network (FYI Virgin Mobile is just re-branded t-mobile, just as Tesco is o2). All the networks offer a free sim, so this will be cheap to set up. Try all the dongles and discount all the ones that don't have the speed you need, then whoever is left, check their websites for deals.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Well, if you buy an unlocked dongle, get a free sim from each network, find which ones have sufficient speed and then see what their packages are. Some offer more than 1 PAYG option. If you use the DLMeter program and find that you are extremely low usage, then you should look for a PAYG that you pay £xx per gigabyte and it lasts for 3 or 4 months, or if you use 2 or 3 gigabyte per month, you can still get PAYG that offer 1 month internet with a maximum of 3/5 gigabyte.

So, 1st lets find your usage and which networks are suitable :).

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi Nystagmite,

Following on from locutus' suggestions you can see our current Mobile Broadband propositions here.

Additionally, you could also check your intended usage via our data calculator here and compare the findings with the DLMeter.

If you'd like any further assistance from me just give me a shout.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi Nystagmite,

Following on from locutus' suggestions you can see our current Mobile Broadband propositions here.

Additionally, you could also check your intended usage via our data calculator here and compare the findings with the DLMeter.

If you'd like any further assistance from me just give me a shout.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

I thaught Vodafone had a package where you paid for 1gig and that lasted until it ran out? Is this package not available Lee?

Thank you. The man at Vodafone said that their PAYG dongles come with 2GB / £15 worth of browsing and that it lasts for 30 days. if I top up, does my credit only last 30 days? Is it just a bog standard sim card I need?

If you have an unlocked dongle, any 3g SIM will tell you the available speed.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thank you. The man at Vodafone said that their PAYG dongles come with 2GB / £15 worth of browsing and that it lasts for 30 days. if I top up, does my credit only last 30 days? Is it just a bog standard sim card I need?

Hi Nystagmite,

The advice provided by my colleagues in your nearest store is correct. When you Top Up with the £15.00 it'll update your available allowance by 2GB which will be valid for thirty days,

Whilst any SIM will in theory will allow you to trial the service our modems do come with SIMs configured specifically for data.

Currently our PAYG proposition includes the modem at £25.00 and it's worth bearing in mind that all online purchases do come with a cooling off period of seven working days in accordance with distance selling regulations so you can trial us all to see which provides the best service for you.

I thaught Vodafone had a package where you paid for 1gig and that lasted until it ran out? Is this package not available Lee?

Hi locutus,

We used to provide this as an option to PAYG users but this hasn't been available for over twelve months.

Best wishes to you both.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

laat week i purchased a usb internet dongle for my union room as we do not have an internet connection.

i went into my local 3 store and was given the dongle and sim card for £80

that will last 12 months and give you 12 gb of data (PAYG)

(branch was very happy )

3 do the same deal with a "mifi" instead of dongle for £122.99 which would allow more people to connect to the net at the same time :) (mifi sold seperatly is around £60)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 1 year later...

I have a few months to think about this; but could do with some help, please:

I am sight impaired. I can read; but with difficulty. (because I see everything move and can't focus properly) Over the years, I've had 2 talking phones, a normal phone and currently have a mobile with a qwerty keypad.

With the talking phones, it was difficult to do anything in private - even on the quietest and the fastest voice settings. Because they were T9 keypads, they were difficult to use.

The normal phone is fine for just calls and texting. I use this when out running.

Last year, I changed to a Blackberry and managed to change the font size. The screen size is becoming difficult to see and I'm generally finding it's getting difficult to use.

Dad has a HTC Desire and said that on his you can zoom in much more than what you can on the Blackberry.

That is what I'm after, I think. However, I don't use my phone enough to justify the £26 p/m cost. I have found a few which are £13 p/m. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the following:

- Samsung Galaxy Mini

- Samsung Galaxy Y

- HTC Explorer

- Nokia 700

I don't need anything too fancy - just for calls, texts, web browsing and an organiser.

Thank you.

The Samsung Galaxy also comes in "note" flavour... Dial-a-phone do this for £20.50 a month. Its selling point is it is oversized 5.3″ screen. (if size matters ;))

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

anything with "mini" in the name is probably not gonna cut the mustard then.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi hun

I've got a HTC wildfire s and that let's me zoom in when I'm on the web. It's touchscreen with a qwerty keypad. I currently pay 21 quid a month with o2 and that includes my internet bolt on.

Maybe pay a visit to a mobile phone shop and speak to them.

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

I have to say, my gut instinct with mobiles is to go to the network. I know I posted a link to "dial-a-phone" above, but the downside if anything goes wrong, your contract is with 1 phone company and the handset was supplied by another company.

Are you on PAYG now? If so who with?

If you are going with a different supplier to who you are currently with, you will need a PAC (port authorization code) to move your current number. When you phone them and ask for this, they will try to retain your custom. Tell them what handset you want, and how much you've seen it for and maybe they will match it. As always, record your call if you can (even if it's with a cheap old tape recorder and using your handset "hands-free" which is what I do) If you have seen the offer with your current network, I would personally still ask for my PAC and haggle them down on price.

Buy online if you can, that way you can read all the details you want, if not but over the phone and you are covered by the "distance selling regulations act" and can return the phone and cancel the contract if it turns out to be unsuitable.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Follow this advice

Hi CAG members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAG is with the very best of intentions.

vodafone UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately at customer.care@help.vodafone.co.uk quoting ‘WRT135 – CAG Forum’ in the subject line to ensure that it reaches the Web Relations Team.

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is.

and get Lee to see what deals he can do :)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Carphonewarehouse buy phones in bulk, then get paid from Vodafone for signing people up, so it does not follow that Vodafone definatly have them. Lee is very knowledgable and helpful, so give him a try.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thank you :)

Looking at the Nokia Lumia 700. Apparently, it's not the Vodafone website; but Carphone Warehouse have it on Vodafone.

Hi Nystagmite,

Although we don't range the Nokia 700 we do stock both the Lumia 610 and 800 which are featured in our online store here.

If you'd like to discuss the options available to you further you're welcome to email me with your details via the Contact us form here quoting the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line.

Once our automated reply has arrived in your inbox could you update the thread with your email reference number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 7 months later...

I have spoken to Vodafone about this before. He "reset" the battery and it hasn't helped.

Bought a Huawei Ascend G300 in June and was told that the battery wouldn't last long because it's a smartphone, depends on what I do, etc.

If I charge it, I've got to overcharge it, else it doesn't turn on. On several occasions, the battery icon has been green and I've been told to connect my charger. It sometimes goes orange (meaning there's 10% left) and then back to green. Sometime, it goes red (

Fed up of this now. What can I do now please? My phone is also unresponsive at times too.

Phone is insured; but don't think it covers this type of thing.

It's an Android phone and the battery is only 1350/1500 mAh, so if you browse/surf the net it won't last long.

Have you tried resetting the phone to factory settings, including deleting all the cache?

Discharge the battery to 20% capacity and recharge the battery with the device turned off. If it still doesn't hold charge either the battery or the phone is faulty.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"