Windows 7 or 8?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey result

that took me 5mins

sri i hadn't seen the thread before

you should of skyped me a msg.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought about it but don't like to pester you.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Absolutely DD. If it doesn't work first as I expect it to I'm at a complete loss.

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the "release candidate" for a while (basicly a pre-release trial)

The things I like about windows 8-

The task manager is a lot nicer.

It handled my hardware better than Windows XP (which is the other opperating system on that PC)

Its boot time was faster, maybe that is down to it being a fresh install.

If you need to repair, you can turn it off 3 times during the boot process. If it fails to boot 3 times it does an automatic repair, then offers to be re-installed to factory settings.

If you need to find an app, setting or file, just type it's name on the start screen and it gives you a list of apps, settings and files that match your search, and it does this very fast.

Things I don't like about Windows 8:

Not keen on it looking like a phone... if I want a display that looks like a phone, I'll get a... erm... phone!

It does not have "network troubleshooting" which was a feature I liked in windows Vista and 7. I thaught they'd keep that as it was a nice feature.

I don't like how all the documentation says "swipe or click here" as though touchscreens are the norm... surely whilst touchscreens are on the fewer PCs it should say "click or swipe"

Lots of the updates have had massive problems with some of the hardware. Some of the most popular hardware and software just crash your PC and need uninstalling, then computer updating, then reinstalling after... for non technical people this is a nightmare, for technical people it is time consuming.

If you have a Windows 8 PC, get an 8 Gig USB stick and follow the advice here so at least if you get a hard drive error you can reinstall

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

as you know W8 was designed for tablets etc. which have by definition much smaller HD or memory, so lots of short cuts are used in its operation so it does not take up so much room.

so no room for rescue or repair/reboot fancies!

• 1 month later...

*cough* hackintosh

You remind me of a friend of mine, for a laugh he phoned tech support for a game that said on the back "Windows XP or greater" and he asked why it was not running on Linux.....

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

'hackingtoshes' need bespoke kexts (drivers) for their iffy hardware, mac's done as the hardware is approved. UNlike the Microsoft Windows hardware approval, you don't need bespoke drivers for Mac's :D

Bootcamp, makes both run on one :D 15 mins of Bootcamp assistant and you have a fullly working copy of windows 8 (or 7) BUT it needs drivers (typical microsoft)

and double LOL at your friend :D

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna be a major update at the end of June... lets see what that brings.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

That update is meant to be mainly cosmetic. I'll be very surprised if it fixes the compatibility and performance issues. The problem MS will have is that win8 was designed purely for tablets, touchscreens etc. The desktop part was added on afterwards.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

MS are shooting themselves in the foot making it a tablet oriented OS. As Windows 7 phases out as Vista and XP did, PC users will be pretty miffed :D Thats personally why I like apple. OSX runs happily on both (since lion they've added an iPad/iPhone/iPod like feature to it called 'LaunchPad') so whether your on the Mac or the Mac with touchscreen you're safe.

Maybe MS should pay attention to user needs rather than what they want the industry to be? This is why Apple have been more successful as a business. Their operating systems have remained pretty much with the same layout, when new features are added, they don't interfere with the basic needs of the user, they're extras you COULD use rather than HAVE to use.

The prob with ios is its very basic and locked down. Thats why widows became a massive success. It has tons of faults but it is very flexible and integrates with many programming languages very easily.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I wouldnt use the term 'programming languages' too loosely. What you mean is it runs off of .NET frameworks which have compilers for many languages :D

The reason why iOS and OSX is locked down is for the very reason windows computers get viruses, adware, trojans, etc... etc... which windows computers are extremely prone to if you don't know what you're doing :D Still to this day, internet explorer is a sitting duck waiting to get shot at on the web, yet MS insist on not locking it right down :D The main reasn why windows si buggier than bob marleys hair, is because its been made SO flexible that it runs on pretty much anything. This is why iOS and OSX are so stable. They're designed for Apple hardware, and none other. CAll it a 'custom made operating system'.

A good analogy is a run of the mill generic 'Ford Fiesta' which is designed for on road, or a custom made '4 Wheel Drive' which happily runs on or off road :D If you look back at the years gone by at the WWDC videos announcing the major OSX and iOS releases, they explain their reasoning for locking things down.

What I personally like, is that even Apple developers such as myself, are clamped down as far as what we can release on the app store i.e. not using forbidden/undocumented frameworks. This sound knowledge leaves me comfortably paying for Apps via the app store both on my macs and mobile devices as I know that the software wont be malicious.

Windows on the other hand, any old EXE will do (as to put it) :D

Semantics. The simple fact is that wndows is a LOT more versatile than iOS will ever be. Thats why the majority of people and corporations use it. If IOS was better overall, then developers would move over to that platform.

How did iOS even come into the conversation? OSX is the referencing point here.

Anyway, in terms of windows developers. I dont believe I've ever seen one which condones a UNIX based or BSD based system. Both being similar, OSX and IOS being the latter.

Corporations use Windows based devices and systems, as IT companies mainly support them. There's a very SMALL handful of IT providers out there who are brave enough to touch a mac. This is mainly for one of two reasons:

1) Their staff aren't skilled enough i.e. typical windows 'tinkerbugs' who built up their education from building games machines

2) They haven't been Apple Certified

Anyway, how exactly is windows more versatile than iOS or OSX? SOme examples would be good for your defence :D

I always call osx ios. I know its different apple platforms, but its a generic term. Might not be corret but everyone knows what you mean.

As for versatility, a developer using the windows platform and associated codebases can pretty much do anything they like and get it out to a HUGE audience. On OSx, the base is pretty much locked down. Sure you an still do a lot of things with it, but nowhere near what you an do compared to windows. Thats why developers gravitate to windows pretty much all the time.

I know people will disagree, but thats why windows is still the OS of choice for many developers. It's just easier, more flexible to work with.

iOS and OSX have nothing in common except for the back end of it? Even when it comes to development they are words apart! One uses NSWindows, the other uses UIView. One is tough friendly, the other isn't. There's a clear divider between the two, but I can see the day that Apple marry the two into one when they start releasing touch enabled Macbooks.

Well I'm still debating that point, Apple likes to make money so they might keep the two divided for pure revenue purposes. *shrug* who knows.

THats not exactly true with Apple development. It's locked down as per APple Regulaltions, but a developer can still use 'undocumented frameworks'. If this is done, they aren't allowed to release their App on the App Store at all, but they can release it in public airspace. In terms of iOS development, this isn't possible, the only entry point for Apps is the app store, unless you did thte dirty and jailbroke your device.

Languages aren't the barrier when it comes to deelopment, the barrier is cost. APple comes with an alarming high price tag and most companies can't (or wont) justify this in their books, which to a degree I can understand. 20 x generic business PC's from HP cost a business around the £10k mark. 20 x Apple iMacs would cost a business £15k+. On top of that, the IT support for windows PC's is a lot cheaper as its easy to rear an employee to understand the working of a Windows machine. In terms of apple, its a costly joke to get someone unix savvy unless if they're a PC fanatic and enjoy their own linux boxes.

WIndows is versatile in the choice of languages one can write the software in, but Apple is unique i the way you have to write an App. Speaking from both a Windows and Apple developer point of view (yes both) I personally like the strict guidelines which Apple enforce. In terms of the.NET framework, Microsoft pretty much say 'her it is, have fun' giving you access to some powerful API's which cause potential threats. A GREAT example of this is the WMI API. Thats some nasty stuff that one can wreak havoc on if they so intended.

For my tastes, the only logical choice for programmers and developers is away from Apple at the moment. Android for phone, and Windows for computer have higher market share, and less hoops for the developer to jump through.

The looks and usability for apple products are nice, but their market share for phones is dropping, and their market share of computers is not raising enough to make them serious contender. I've said before about "hackintosh"... If you have the same chipset as Apple use you can install it as vanilla, multiboot with windows still on the system and still pay a lot less than you would an Apple computer.

Still, the thread was Windows 7 or 8. I still like both, but don't think I'll upgrade from 7 just yet :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Have you ever wished you'd never asked? Most of this is way over my head! :p

Still getting used to 8 and tending to use my phone quite a bit instead, but I'm getting there.

I think for numptys like me, unless they can afford a mac there's probably little choice but to have 8 now.

What's Best for You?