Windows 7 or 8?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need a new laptop and as a mac is out of the question am looking at my options.

I love my iPhone so wondering whether to go for windows 8.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I don't do much more than use the Internet, emails, the odd letter etc.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither, I'd go for a Chromebook that uses Chrome OS. It's good enough for what you want. There's a model for just under £200 and another for £229 on the Play store.

I love my iPhone so wondering whether to go for windows 8.

???? IPhone is Apple and Windows 8 is Microsoft.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I just meant I'm used to touchscreen on my iPhone so maybe ok with Windows 8.

I think a chromebook screen might be a bit small for me.

Got sorted today and there really wasn't much choice but to have Windows 8 so just trying to get my head round it all.

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Get both and dual boot the laptop. Win 8 is pretty solid for tablets and any touch screen, but lacks win 7's power desktop wise. It does have some performance enhancements for 3D apps, but overall i would either go with win 7 or dual boot.

I've had win 8 since very early developer beta, and to be honest, i rarely use it due to a lot of bugs. But knowing MS

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I've bitten the bullet and got 8 now. Hopefully any bugs will get sorted with updates in due course.

What's Best for You?

They always solve major bugs in service pack 1. Thats what you can actually rely on MS to do. Take windows 7. Its now the most stable OS theyve ever made for consumers so far, but it took a major service pack to iron out the terrible performance issues.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Get both and dual boot the laptop.

I don't think you can do that, unless you hack the BIOS. New PCs with Win 8 use UEFI (google it) that restrict booting only to OS's digitally signed by Micro$oft. I am not sure Win 7 is digitally signed.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I have both as a dual boot system on one of my project computers. I use them to get different system benchmarks.

The easiest way to dual boot is install win 7, then go to disk manager and shrink the volume where you want win 8 to be installed. Format the extra space and it creates a new partition. Rename it to something, boot up win 8 dvd and install to new partition. Once it installs and reboots a few times, youll get a new win 8 boot screen that lets you choose what OS's you have on your system.

Regarding UEFI, the PC i am typing this on has it on the mainboard. This computer has ubuntu, win 7, win 8 and win 2000 on it.

Don't need to if win 7 is installed first. If you install win 8 first, then try win 7, you'll run into tons of probs. You could also screw around with legacy boot options which are on a LOT of the latest laptops.

If you REALLY wan to get around the firmware, just get a UEFI boot loader and throw it on a USB drive an set your system to boot from that.

Fully agree with ray. I'm waiting for SP1 to come out for Win8. Win8 just has too many issues to be of use as a desktop OS.

For numptys like me who need to buy off the shelf the question is now irrelevant as the major retailers have little but 8 available.

All I can say is it's just so nice to have a laptop that works properly and has no issues with displaying everything I want to see in full.

Happy days. :-)

What's Best for You?

Me too Ray. My old laptop died in November!

What's Best for You?

One thing i hate is retailers forcing you to buy an OS of their choosing. Congrats on the new laptop though :)

Thanks although to be fair I'm more comfortable going with the mainstream as I think I've got a better chance of good support if something goes wrong.

What's Best for You?

Little Windows 8 tip : If you want to find a program or app, just type it at the start screen and the charm search bar pops up and finds the relevent programs or apps or settings.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks.:-)

What's Best for You?

A problem.

I have an ancient Lexmark (I know but it's all I could afford) X1270 all in one printer. Haven't got the CD so went on the Lexmark site for drivers and there are none for Windows 8. Have I got to get a new printer now too or is there a way round this? :-(

What's Best for You?

Win 7 drivers -should- work. Perhaps right click the installer and try compatability mode.

Also : http://support.lexmark.com/index?productCode=LEXMARK_X1270&page=product&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US#1

If it is USB just plug it in and see if it shows (a lot of them install without informing the user, so the only way to find out if it's set up is to try to print something or go into the printers in control panel) if it is wireless there is a good chance your Windows 8 PC finds it on the network and sets it all up.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Nothing happened when I plugged in the USB and wireless played pirate radio when this printer was made. :-(

What's Best for You?

you'll need the last on the list here

http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/113/

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx. Sorted! :-)

What's Best for You?