Driver Documents (Requested for personal vehicle use)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CAGsters, havent needed anyones help for a long time which is great. However now I do :)

Please could you have a look at the attached request received from my employer. In a nutshell we are being told that we have to provide our Driver Licence, MOT & Insurance paperwork for our personal vehicle.

We only use our personal vehicle to travel to work, no work is carried out in our vehicle and it is parked in a public carpark on our work premisses.

We are teachers and are employed by our local council.

They already have a copy of my driving licence for driving a school vehicle, but im not happy that I have to provide my personal MOT and Insurance details.

All advice and help is appreciated.

REGARDS,

Spinster

Ring your insurance company. Ask them if driving to and from a single place of work is business use. When they say no, as they will, write back to the employer and tell them this, and that you have personal domestic & commuting cover.

Job done, no drama. It's just an admin person who is not an insurance expert is all. It happens.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

They are equating business use with commuting. Most policies, even TPFT, include Social, Domestic and commuting to a single

place of work. Business cover would cost more.

The use of capitals WHICH YOU ALL DO!!! indicates to me he's expecting grief.

My reply would be that the DVLA and the Police are the correct authorities to police this, which they already do quite adequately.

Thanks guys, at the bottom it say "it is part of ##COUNCIL NAME## contractual employment with you and is taken seriously" what are the consequences of not complying can I be disciplined?

Thank you so far for your supper speedy assistance. :)

why are you so bent on having an arguement instead of politely pointing out the error?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

why are you so bent on having an arguement instead of politely pointing out the error?

Please forgive me if my post has come across this way. The last thing I want is an argument, unfortunately my employer & manager like to dictate strongly about policy. I have already politely pointed out that my vehicle is not used for business and only used for traveling into work, I was then told that it is part of their policy and must be adheared to. We are always treated like idiots who have no right to question what is asked of us. Policy this Policy that!!

I dont want to come across as awkward, but what business is it of theirs and how would they use this information that they are requesting and why do they need it?

SPINSTER

Hi

Ask them for a copy of the Policy that states this requirement and see what it says.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you for all the posts offering help and support, i will see where it gets me and report back if needs be.

If all else fails, I will follow Emmzzi's advice of having an argument and getting the bus. Obviously I will want to see the bus drivers licence, MOT and insurance documents first before bording :)

SPINSTER

Does that mean you NEVER use your car during work time?

I can see why they want to cover themselves. I guess certain employees must need to use their cars for business purposes, or the memo wouldn't have gone out.

If its a problem, ask your insurance company for a business use quote and see if your employer will pay the difference. Or you could be lucky like me and actually see your insurance quote go DOWN by adding Class 1 business use... :)

If you can be assigned to other premises to work OTHER than you normal place of work then you should supply the information.

This has been the case in many ''public sector'' jobs, I have always had to provide such information because of travel to various venues.

I personally cannot see any reason for with holding the documents.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Only ever had this when I used my own car for work - as does my wife. I had to (and she still does) produce my licence, MOT and insurance periodically and they used to include my car on the mandatory tyre checks that the business vehicles had to have done every week. My only complaint was when my definition of tyre wear differed from theirs and I had to get new tyres before I would normally have done :Cry:

Having said all that (and a company car now makes life so much easier - although I still have to produce my licence) I would say that there is an argument on both sides - quite rightly you need to know why what is essentially private use of your vehicle requires the employer to have sight of your documents, but equally - is there any point in antagonising?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!