Knowhow refusing to honour 28 day limit

Unclebob48
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I dropped my HP DV6 laptop off at the local PC World on December 10th 2012 to have the hinge repaired under the Whatever Happens / Coverplan scheme, which promises to repair your computer within 28 days or offer a replacement or store-credit for a laptop of similar specs.

On January 7th (Day 28), I received an SMS message thanking me for dropping the laptop at the store and givig an estimated return date of 16th January.

I contacted Knowhow by phone, only to discover an administrative cock-up had occured due to the DV6 being mistakenly logged as my DV7 which had also been in for repair earlier in December. Somehow this had messed up their system. I requested a replacement under the 28 day policy and was told the matter was under investigation.

Further calls to Knowhow only served to confirm no-one had a clue what was going on, and that any offer by Knowhow to return a call was simply an excuse to get me off the phone and blatantly not going to happen.

On day 34, I decided to email Knowhow as I was reluctant to keep banging my head against the wall with the telephone system.

Today (day 35) I got a reply from David Cattermer informing me that as the laptop had now been repaired and should get back to the store 'soon' (still no assigned date for delivery) and as such I was no longer able to request a replacement.

Should I stick to my guns and insist on a replacement?

Result! I didn't even have to push for a write-off, they agreed up front despite the fact I'd already collected the repaired item. I just have to take the laptop to the store, ask for the duty manager to authorise the pre-arranged instore credit and choose a replacement to equivalent spec.