style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone advise me what to expect from an insurance buildings assessor visit (company called JHS restoration, sent by LAS claims management)

I woke up at 2am on Tuesday for the toilet and heard water in the kitchen which was coming from the ceiling, I turned the water stop cock off and returned to bed to deal with in the morning.

I had a football sized hole in my ceiling water on top of my units and a little had got under my tiled floor, also water staining to the bathroom ceiling above the kitchen, my insurance excess is £500 so my wife initially said we should just get a builder in as it would be around the excess amount anyway. I removed the tiled flooring as some where cracked and moving and i was worried about my 3 children injuring there feet. I have kept all the tiles.

We asked a builder who was working for a neighbor to pop in and have a look at damage and give an estimate, he looked and said the water had ran down the back of the units wetting the wall and units themselves (his advice was to remove the 3 wall units as they could come lose and fall on one of the children) so i did (again I have kept the units) he also advised to call insurance as it is a bigger job than expected.

What am left with is a wet wall, hole in my ceiling, 3 bags of broken tiles and a bare kitchen floor and 3 removed wall units.

My question is will my claim be reduced or even rejected as I fixed the leak myself, have removed flooring and wall units even tho I have kept them and they are clearly water damaged.

Many thanks in advance

They will just assess the damage, see what needs to be done and deal as appropriate. Insurers often have their own contractors they will use to fix the damage.

Keep the bags with the broken tiles and anything else you have removed with the water damage. If you paid to fix the leak, have a copy of the bill you paid, so they can see that.

Unlikely to be sorted out by Christmas and you could be waiting a month or so, before it is all back to normal. Just make sure all damage is found and that there is no hidden water damage. Water can find its way to many places and you dont want to find more damage later on. This time of the year, it can take some time for damaged plaster to dry out properly.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Many thanks for that post it has made me feel a lot less nervous than i was, I suffer from Bi-polar you see and things like this really stress me (I was hoping to have my nurse here with me and the assessor but sadly she is on leave).

Thanks again