Inflated current salary on CV

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

I recently applied for a job which was way above my pay scale but very similar in responsibilities.

Stupidly, I inflated my current salary slightly so it looked more in line with the new position.

Now I've been offered the job and background checks have started. I'm concerned that my 'white lie' will be discovered.

I have found the following thread info on the subject.. Is this correct?

http ://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110820063708AA7O9OH

References normally NEVER include salary details because that would be against the Data Protection Act. Your last employer cannot reveal your financial information to anyone else unless you authorise them to.

Thanks!

except, P45

However I usually talk about my "total benefits package" which includes employers contribution to pension and car allowance and... which can explain a bit!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

well the other part on that yahoo post was...

As for the P45, just tell your new employer that you lost it and just request that you are happy to fill in a P46 form. That way your tax office will inform your new employer what tax code to use on your pay after a couple of months.

References normally NEVER include salary details because that would be against the Data Protection Act. Your last employer cannot reveal your financial information to anyone else unless you authorise them to.[/i]

Thanks!

Not true - for by the same token, all information would be subject to the DPA and therefore nobody could provide any information whatsoever! It is more the case that salary information is not normally a part of a reference because this may often be commercially sensitive information, particularly when the former, and prospective, employers operate in the same type of business.

When you apply for a job, you normally give consent for the prospective employer to carry out whatever checks might be necessary in order to help assess your suitability for the role. This may include an approximation of salary - for example, within bands, but I have only seen it rarely.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 1 year later...