Items taken by FGW staff on train

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK guys,a

rather unusual one here.

I was travelling on a FGW train from Exeter-Cornwall.

Just before Plymouth station, the cleaner came through the train asking for any rubbish to be collected.

As I hadn't got anything that needed to be taken, I just said No and went back to my book.

I turned back in time to see him taking a paper bag out of my holdall which was on the seat next to me and throwing it into the sack.

I yelled at him to stop but it was too late-it had been put in there .

By then,people were getting up to get up at the station,

and he got to the doorway before I could

.I managed to get hold of the Train Manager and explained the situation,

and was told that there was nothing they could do-once it was in the sack and had been taken off the train,it would be incinerated. 44

Besides some odds and sods, it also had in my wallet with my onward ticket and railcard and about £30 in cash.

I've put in a complaint, but I've been told that even though it was their fault, there is nothing they can do unless I can provide proof of purchase for the railcard

and proof of what else was in there.

It was not just left unguarded, but was actually inside my property sitting next to me when it was taken.

What to do next?

shouldn`t he have called police to report the theft? Not fobbed off by some excuse?

It's not theft though.

You need to have intention to be dishonest, and intention to permanently deprive.

Sounds like a bit of a mix up in communication.

Putting something in a litter bag thinking it is litter is not theft.

I've provided the address to make a claim from a railway company. That is sufficient for now.

I turned back in time to see him taking a paper bag out of my holdall... Not how I would look at it.

Do you not find it odd that, if he witnessed the bag being taken out of his bag, it wasn't prevented by him?

I wouldn't let someone take something of mine and do nothing. You'd go nuts.

I suspect FGW are treating this claim with the suspicion correctly deserved.

Bottom line is the OP has no proof to support a very unusual and seemingly unlikely claim.

I find myself in the strange situation of agreeing with firstclassx, if the holdall was next to you it is unlikely that you wouldnt be able to do more to stop the items being taken or retrieve them...after all anyone could make up such a claim.

OK guys,a

rather unusual one here.

I was travelling on a FGW train from Exeter-Cornwall.

Just before Plymouth station, the cleaner came through the train asking for any rubbish to be collected.

As I hadn't got anything that needed to be taken, I just said No and went back to my book.

I turned back in time to see him taking a paper bag out of my holdall which was on the seat next to me and throwing it into the sack.

I yelled at him to stop but it was too late-it had been put in there .

By then,people were getting up to get up at the station,

and he got to the doorway before I could

.I managed to get hold of the Train Manager and explained the situation,

and was told that there was nothing they could do-once it was in the sack and had been taken off the train,it would be incinerated. 44

Besides some odds and sods, it also had in my wallet with my onward ticket and railcard and about £30 in cash.

I've put in a complaint, but I've been told that even though it was their fault, there is nothing they can do unless I can provide proof of purchase for the railcard

and proof of what else was in there.

It was not just left unguarded, but was actually inside my property sitting next to me when it was taken.

What to do next?

In my opinion, a public forum such as this is not the place to make allegations of theft that cannot be substantiated and if they can be, with evidence, then you are still in the wrong place..

If you are saying that a member of on-train staff took an item or items from inside your private bag without your consent and this was witnessed by you and that you are prepared to make a statement to that effect, the correct course of action is to make a formal complaint to Police.

If you cannot substantiate the allegation, then I doubt that you are going anywhere with this

Do remember of course that a very high percentage of train carriages are now covered by CCTV

Edited by Old-CodJA
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

sounds like total nonsense to me.

Not all rubbish is incinerated instantly the cleaners get off the train either: it's collected and dumped into secured biffa bins for a contractor to empty every so often (i.e. once a day?).

Story is full of holes.

sounds like total nonsense to me.

Not all rubbish is incinerated instantly the cleaners get off the train either: it's collected and dumped into secured biffa bins for a contractor to empty every so often (i.e. once a day?).

Story is full of holes.

Timbo I agree with you. I had a look at the OPs 20 previous posts and it seems that s/he suffers from being pursued for what might seem to some to be an unusually high incidence of alleged fake debts.

I notice that there seems to be a lack of 'Oh, poor you' responses on this thread and the OP hasn't come back to expand on this allegation.

As we all know that there are FGW employees who use this forum and allegations of such an event on train leading to any disciplinary action would quickly spread on the internal grapevine.

I suspect that we will never learn any more about it.

Edited by Old-CodJA