Greater Anglia Trains Penalty Fare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Today I was charged a Penalty Fare of £20.00 for not showing a valid ticket when travelling from Wood Street to Liverpool Street London.

The reason being I forgot to renew my monthly pass which expired yesterday. When I reached the barrier at Liverpool Street station and saw the ticket I realised that it expired yesterday and so I went to the ticket officer and explained my situation, He asked me to pay a PF of £20.00 as I travelled ticket less.

I have been travelling on this route for pass 9 months and I have tickets for all the pass 9 months, I didn't had any intention of travelling ticket less, but unfortunately this time it just slept out of my mind to renew the ticket (totally my mistake), we don't have any ticket barriers at Wood Street station which makes it worse.

The ticket officer told me that I can appeal to IRCAS and showed me the website, I would like to know if I stand any chance of getting the PF back. I've been a genuine traveller on Greater Anglia for the past year and I've got ticket for every single day, I don't know if that would help.

Can you please guide me on what I should do in this situation, I really don't want to loose my £20.00, I know its a small amount but makes a difference to me.

Thanks

Edited by farank

Hi,

Today I was charged a Penalty Fare of £20.00 for not showing a valid ticket when travelling from Wood Street to Liverpool Street London.

The reason being I forgot to renew my monthly pass which expired yesterday. When I reached the barrier at Liverpool Street station and saw the ticket I realised that it expired yesterday and so I went to the ticket officer and explained my situation, He asked me to pay a PF of £20.00 as I travelled ticket less.

I have been travelling on this route for pass 9 months and I have tickets for all the pass 9 months, I didn't had any intention of travelling ticket less, but unfortunately this time it just slept out of my mind to renew the ticket (totally my mistake), we don't have any ticket barriers at Wood Street station which makes it worse.

The ticket officer told me that I can appeal to IRCAS and showed me the website, I would like to know if I stand any chance of getting the PF back. I've been a genuine traveller on Greater Anglia for the past year and I've got ticket for every single day, I don't know if that would help.

Can you please guide me on what I should do in this situation, I really don't want to loose my £20.00, I know its a small amount but I would rather give it in charity then to loose it like this.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I expect the transport guys will be along later, but speaking as a non-expert, I think you may have a problem arguing against this one.

If I've understood what you say, you didn't have a valid ticket today, am I right please?

From what I've read here, I don't think saying that you bought tickets for the last 9 months helps you if you hadn't bought one today.

I hope the transport guys will be along later with advice for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I expect the transport guys will be along later, but speaking as a non-expert, I think you may have a problem arguing against this one.

If I've understood what you say, you didn't have a valid ticket today, am I right please?

From what I've read here, I don't think saying that you bought tickets for the last 9 months helps you if you hadn't bought one today.

I hope the transport guys will be along later with advice for you.

My best, HB

No I didn't had a valid ticket for my travel today. But my intentions were not to travel ticketless, it was purely due to my negligence, so just wanted to know whether they will consider this or not.

No I didn't had a valid ticket for my travel today. But my intentions were not to travel ticketless, it was purely due to my negligence, so just wanted to know whether they will consider this or not.

Thank you for that. I'm sure the transport guys will be along. I hope I'm wrong in thinking that not intending to evade the fare doesn't outweigh not having a ticket. The guys will tell you.

Fwiw, in future it's worth diarying when your ticket expires. However this case turns out, at least you won't have the hassle next time.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you for that. I'm sure the transport guys will be along. I hope I'm wrong in thinking that not intending to evade the fare doesn't outweigh not having a ticket. The guys will tell you.

Fwiw, in future it's worth diarying when your ticket expires. However this case turns out, at least you won't have the hassle next time.

HB

Pretty sure that your appeal would be rejected in this case, The fact you always buy a ticket normally wont make a difference as on this date you travelled without a ticket.

As HB said maybe a diary or set a reminder on your mobile to go off on the day of expiry or earlier (you can purchase season tickets up to 7 days in advance in most cases) to avoid it ever happening in future

Yes, I agree I'm afraid. The onus is always on the traveller to check that they hold a valid ticket before travelling where facilities are avaialble to them. Intent isn't relevant, Railway Byelaws make this a strict liability matter.

Having said that, although the RPO was entirely right to issue a PF under the rules, sometimes a little discretion might be applied and if the check is made at a station where the barrier line is close to and in clear sight of the booking office, a member of staff might consider allowing the traveller to renew a weekly there and then, but they are not obliged to do so and certainly wouldn't do so as a regular occurrence.

I'm sorry that I can't offer better hope and also suggest that your appeal will be rejected.