Robinson Way - Statute Barred?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a loan which was originally through Cahoot, taken out in about 2003.

This fell into arrears approximately 9 years ago and for one reason or another, I didn't repay this after getting into a complete financial mess.

I am now being chased by Robinson Way for the total amount of £7k. However, I've checked my credit files and there is absolutely nothing showing on here.

The last letter I had from Robinson Way was in May 2012. I have never written to Robinson Way regarding this debt and I am certain I didn't make any payments to the original company during the last six years.

Does this mean the debt might now be statute barred and how would I find this out? If it is Statute barred, how does this affect my credit rating which I am trying to rebuild?

Have you paid anything or acknowledged the date within the last six years? If not I beleive that the debt would be statute barred, and so uncollectable. Just use the Statute Barred template letter from the library to Robinson Way. I am no expert, but I am sure someone with more knowledge may agrree! Good Luck

Have you paid anything or acknowledged the date within the last six years? If not I beleive that the debt would be statute barred, and so uncollectable. Just use the Statute Barred template letter from the library to Robinson Way. I am no expert, but I am sure someone with more knowledge may agrree! Good Luck

As far as I'm aware I haven't paid anything in the last 6 years and I've never acknowledged anything in writing but i would need to check. Does the fact it's not showing on my credit report confirm this? Do you think I should do an SAR first? Thanks for your advice!

Don 't SAR them, they will tell you that it is an acknowledgement of the debt.

You just need to send the Statute Barred letter should they come sniffing round again and leave it at that.

No point in getting their threatomatic machine in action when it isn't needed.

I agree with sillygirl1, Important not to acknowledge debt, send statute barred template letter.

One last question, given the fact I haven't heard from them since May 2012, do you think I should still send the statute barred letter or wait until they make contact again? I'm scared of opening a can of worms with them but at the same time I need to repair my credit rating and I would like to know that this is definitely statute barred.

Thanks in advance for any further help!

I'd deffo leave it until they contact you again, best be safe than sorry.

Technically if they now own the debt they should be sending you an annual statement, one company did this to me which confirmed that their debt was statute barred, so I was rather pleased they shot themselves in the foot!

Their next contact might be one of those 'We have been forced to trace you to xxx" or "Where have we gone wrong?" In that case you can reply "You have gone wrong by chasing a statute barred debt. No payment will be received from me now or in the future." No need for anything more lengthy.

I'd deffo leave it until they contact you again, best be safe than sorry.

Technically if they now own the debt they should be sending you an annual statement, one company did this to me which confirmed that their debt was statute barred, so I was rather pleased they shot themselves in the foot!

Their next contact might be one of those 'We have been forced to trace you to xxx" or "Where have we gone wrong?" In that case you can reply "You have gone wrong by chasing a statute barred debt. No payment will be received from me now or in the future." No need for anything more lengthy.

Thanks again! I've definitely never received a statement from them, just "chasing" letters and numerous phone calls. I did speak to them once and said I had no knowledge of the debt as the debt name had changes from Cahoot to Abbey and I asked for the credit agreement which they did send but I've never acknowledged the debt in writing or anything. I guess we will see what happens. I've also trawled through my bank statements for the last six years and can't see any payments relating to this debt

Thanks again