Looking after Dad

racy tracy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am thinking about giving up, so that I can look after my dad. His health is detiorating very quickly every day, and my mum is finding it increasingly difficult to cope when im out at work :sad: Does anybody know what benefits I would be allowed to claim (if any), bearing in mind that I am giving up a perfectly good job? I want to be there to help him as much as I can, after all he has looked after me all my life, so now its my turn to look after him

If you give up your job, will you have any income or savings/investments etc?

If not then you could claim carer's allowance and income support as a carer. Check that your mother isn't getting an underlying entitlement to carers allowance and getting a carers premium on any pension credit they receive.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

no i wont have any income, and i do not have savings or investments. My mum isnt getting underlying entitlement to carers allowance and she doesnt get carers premium and neither my mum or dad do not get pension credit.

no i wont have any income, and i do not have savings or investments. My mum isnt getting underlying entitlement to carers allowance and she doesnt get carers premium and neither my mum or dad do not get pension credit.

so yes, you'll be able to claim carers allowance and income support as a carer.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

no, because my mum and dad are both in receipt of their pensions, they will not pay carers allowance aswell.

I assume that this comment meant that they were both wanting to be seen as Carers for each other? If that is the case then they would not have been eligible, however, should you wish to fulfill a Carer role for your father it is likely to be allowed for you.

well my mum doesnt really need careing for (not in that way anyway), and she did enquire about claiming Carers Allowance for looking after my dad, but because she gets a pension, and that is classed as a benefit, they wont pay Carers Allowance aswell, and their income is over the threshold for Pension Credit, so thats why they dont get that either. I live with my mum and dad, (currently have another thread open regarding Council Tax Benefit), so would I be entitled to Income Support as well as Carers Allowance?