Easyjet refused boarding in error

bashyo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Seems to me that airlines hold all the aces. They can overlook,change flights without compensation. Unless you book as a package through a bonded travel agent you really have little protection. Then people complain that they can book it say £5 cheaper direct.

That is incorrect. Why not try reading EC 261/2004: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML and the Sturgeon judgement: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:62007CJ0402:EN:HTML

Overbooking leading to denied boarding: compensation ranges from 250 - 600 euros per passenger depending on flight distance plus the right to care whilst awaiting re-routed flight (meals and refreshments/accommodation/travel to and from airport and hotel);

Delayed flight in excess of 3 hours: same compensation;

Cancelled flight: same compensation;

Downgrade in class booked: between 30 and 75% refund of the price of the ticket.

The Regulation may not be perfect but it goes a considerable way to rebalance the one-sided Conditions of Carriage airlines use since Feb 2005.

Yes that is true for an EU based airline but they can change flight times and days in advance without paying compensation.

Compensation is indeed only payable if the flight is cancelled 2 weeks or less before the scheduled flight time.

If the airline alters the flight time such that the flight is cancelled then the passenger has the right to either a refund or a rerouted flight to their final destination at the earliest opportunity at the passengers' choice.

Yes a refund or the next available flight. Of course if you have connections to catch with say a different airline and hotel accommodation booked it starts to get complicated. So you are booked on an emirates flight to say Hong Kong then a non related internal flight to somewhere in China, emirates alter the time so you miss your connection and can not get to your final destination you are screwed. This is why using travel professionals will be worth it. Even if it is an EU based airline but your hotels are booked separately and you opt for a refund will you get your money back for the hotels. All depends on booking conditions i guess

Edited by drop47

Industry regulations are one thing but surely do not override a court case where negligence causes a financial loss?

'set compensation' under such industry regulations is the minimum a customer should expect. I think a judge would award more if a higher financial loss due to negligence was proved.

Maybe I am wrong as this is just my opinion. I just do not believe that industry specific legislation overrides law even if there are t&cs at the time of booking.

I doubt there is a term in there saying that 'if we wrongly refuse you boarding, we are not liable for any loss' and even if there was it would be an unfair condition.

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)